Husband PCS Overseas Need Licensing Help!

  1. My husband is in the navy and his PCS is overseas, more specifically Italy. I'm graduating with my bachelors in about a month and I will be taking my NCLEX soon. My problem now is that since we are moving to Italy I have no idea where to apply for a nursing license and how to go about even attempting to see if I can get a job over there. Plus I realize being a new grad that my options were already slimmer to begin with. Currently I am in the process of obtaining a license in my current state but I am now at a loss for what to do next. I have heard that it is still possible to get work out of the country in my current situation on base as a federal government employee or GS nursing but I am not exactly sure how to even go about that. If anyone has any tips or information I could really use it!
  2. Visit Nonnifers profile page

    About Nonnifers

    Joined: Mar '13; Posts: 2


  3. by   Pixie.RN
    Keep your license current in your state/home of record. You can work in a Federal facility with a license from any state. As far as getting jobs overseas, that will be tough -- highly competitive, and most want experience. Check for any leads. You might consider volunteering once you get there just to get a foot in the door. Congrats on your upcoming graduation! And enjoy Italy. I lived in Naples for 5 years when I was a kid, and I loved it.
  4. by   psycheab
    I was in your shoes roughly 6 years ago (wow, it's already been 6 years.) Um, I was in my last semester of nursing school when hubby got orders for Japan. I graduated in May, took NCLEX in June, and we moved in July. I applied to a few jobs I came across on at the base we were stationed at, but, honestly, was never even considered as I had no experience and every federal job posting I've come across always reads "Must have 1 year of experience." Now, there may be opportunities where you could possibly volunteer and get your foot in the door (and get people to recognize your face), so you may have to go knock on a few doors if you want to pursue that. Another option may be working at either the Red Cross or see if where you will be stationed has a WIC (Women, Infants and Children) Overseas office. If a position is available, they look to hire nutritionists or nurses. As far as your license, just aim to get the license in your current state and keep it current (renewals for most states is every 2 years) until you move back to the States. Feel free to PM me if you have add'l questions or concerns.
  5. by   Nonnifers
    Thank you both! LunahRN we're actually going to Naples, so if you have anymore tips about Naples in general let me know
    psycheab I'll definitely look into the Red Cross and WIC options. Thank you both so much!
  6. by   Pixie.RN
    I left Naples in 1987, so I'm sure it's changed a lot! LOL. Just be aware Naples is kind of a dirty city, but the people are friendly and the food is excellent! Lots to see and do ... make sure you get out and travel! Capri and Ischia are nearby islands that are worth many visits, there is Pompeii and Herculaneum and Vesuvius, and then Rome is just a couple hours north. Oh, I'm jealous!!!