getting a license in other states

Nurses General Nursing


hi, im registered in new york but i want to work in new jersey what do i do?


Specializes in Telemetry, Case Management.

I am licensed in three states. Write to the state board of nursing where you want to get a license and request they send you the necessary paperwork to get a license by reciprocity. they will send you forms, some of which you will have to send to the state you are currently licensed in. You will have to pay a fee to the state you are licensed in, probably twenty five bucks or so for copies of the forms the new state needs. You will have to get a photo made and send all the completed paperwork and too much money to the new state and once it is all done, about six weeks, you will get a new license from the new state. Meanwhile, your old license is still good. I am licensed in IN, KY and TN. That's how it worked there. Just takes dollars and patience! :0)


335 Posts

I second KaroSnowQueen's advice - I am registered in MA, DC, and KY. Different states have different req's, but you can often find them on the internet. Just look up the State Board of Nursing.


24 Posts

while im waiting will i be able to get a job in new jersey?


222 Posts

I have OH and KY licenses. KY allowed me to practice nursing on a "temporary work permit" while i waited for the paperwork to come back.


24 Posts


This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X