What is an endocrinologist?!

  1. Please help! My Ob. referred me to an endocrinologist because I have been having problems with my blood sugars. My husband wants to know all about why I need to see an endocrinologist- but I do not know!! Please help me explain it to him in layman's terms. He thinks if I stick with my diabetic diet I should not have to see one.
  2. Visit Rebecca G profile page

    About Rebecca G

    Joined: Oct '02; Posts: 6
    Nursing Student


  3. by   nursejamie76
    an endocrinologist has to do with diabetes and thyroid problems your problem having problems with your sugar because your pregnant it is called gestational diabetes usually goes away after your pregnancy is over
  4. by   Rebecca G
    My GT test says that I do not have problems with gestational diabetes. However, many foods make me shaky and weak. I have problems with passing out a lot, too. They sent me to see a nutritionalist but she was not much help. Can an endocrinologist do more?
  5. by   nursejamie76
    have they checked your iron level sometimes if you are anemic that stuff can happen to you also
  6. by   emrettig
    An endocrinologist specializes in all the glands, not just in diabetes and thyroid. He/she has 2 to 3 years training beyond a medicine or peds residency. Peds endos also deal with growth problems, primarily short stature and also with inborn errors of metabolism.
    If you are not a diabetic why are you on a diabetic diet? It sounds like you are having problems with low blood sugar? I guess we need more info.

    Keep the Faith,
  7. by   Rebecca G
    I told my Dr. ( who is new to the practice I g to ) that I have always had problems with hypoglycemia. He said he doubted that because hypo- was rarely ever given as a diagnosis. He said that people use that word loosely to describe low blood sugar with spikes, but it does not mean I have Hypoglycemia. JAMIE- my iron is low. He told me to take some slow FE....no one has ever told me that can have the same effect!
  8. by   nursejamie76
    when I was pregnant I had problems with passing out and they thought it was my sugar and it ended up being I was anemic and they put me on FE and I didn't have any problems after that.
  9. by   Rebecca G
    Did you have problems with eating too though? For example- if when I wake up I drink OJ- my fave- like always, I get the shakes really bad. Even eating a candy bar can make me feel a little weak.
  10. by   NurseDennie
    Rebecca -

    Your s/s when you take something high in sugar are just classic. Especially if you have been fasting, if you take something in with high sugar content, it causes the insulin production to increase.

    Because what you've taken in is highly processed, it breaks down very easily and quickly, and then you have too much insulin in the system, which causes the s/s.

    You'll find that if you have to have something sweet, that you should have it with some protein and some unprocessed type of carbo's.

    You do need to be seen by the endocrinologist, because these swings in blood sugar are either predictive or risk factors for adult onset diabetes. Nothing to mess around with.

    So you know from the beginning that your doc is going to tell you to try to control your blood sugar with diet and exercise. I read that you're on the ADA diet, and I assume you're pregnant, since you said your OB referred you. Sometimes these "settings" are easier to mess up when pregnant, and you may have no problems whatsoever after the baby is born.

    On the other hand, you do need to keep an eye on the blood sugar forever. My perception (which means that I have no idea if this is true, but *I* believe it to be true) is that people who have this type of difficulty with blood sugar/insulin levels... and also people who have pregnancy induced diabetes... are more likely to become diabetic in their middle ages that people without.

    It seems to be to be very logical to be really, really on top of this from an early age. Diabetes is such a devastating thing to have. I think that it can be kind of held off by really close attention to diet and exercise.

    Best of luck! You could bring your hubby to your endocrinologist appointment - most of them have a diabetes educator on board. You could have your hubby PM me if he has any questions for before your next appointment. I work with a certified diabetes educator (who is not at work at 1730 like I am - well I'm at work, but obviously NOT working!) who is very generous with information.