U.S nurses living in Canada and working in the U.S?

  1. Anyone out there a U.S. citizen working in the U.S. but staying in Canada? This is what I want to do when I graduate but do not know if it is possible. An immigration lawyer told my fiance (who is Canadian) that it won't be a problem because I have a full time job in Buffalo. I'm just worried about crossing the border every day.
    Let me know!
  2. Visit NewYorkRN2B profile page

    About NewYorkRN2B

    Joined: Dec '06; Posts: 6


  3. by   Dorain
    Hi, there

    I live in Fort Erie. Have traveled across the board for many times. These what I knew about the board:

    as long as you are citizen of US/ Canada and work at your own country, you will be allowed to stay in Canada/US up to 6 months without any documentation. If you plan to live in Canada longer than 6 months, you need to apply permanent residentship.

    Theoretically you wouldn't have much problem to cross the board, but there are sometimes exceptions. If I were descendant of Middle-east, I would think about living in Canada very carefully. I have heard that Middle-east- American are more likely to be questioned by custome officer in purpose.

    If you decide to live in Canada, at the first few months, you may have some little problem with crossing board here and there. But the more you travel the easier you have. You can also apply NEXUS that allow you cross board quicker than others.

    Overall, living in Canada and going back to work at US is not a hard thing. lots of people in Fort Erie do so.

    So good luck to you!