RPA's? The new midlevels?

  1. I saw this bit on another forum.

    What do you think? Are RPA's like NP's, CRNA and PA's- midlevel practioners?

    A Radiology Practitioner Assistant (RPA) is a mid-level health care professional that works under the supervision of a radiologist. Weber State University in Ogden, Utah was approached to help develop a curriculum due to their advanced courses in the science of radiology and started the program in 1997. Thereafter, the National Society of Radiology Practitioner Assistants (NSRPA) evolved and has been growing exponentially due to the increasing applicants at Weber State University.

    The NSRPA is a non-profit organization that has been established for the RPA to be involved with the medical community as a professional society. The society is an active participant with other organizations and health care professionals to educate and promote the role of the RPA. Furthermore, the NSRPA holds an annual conference conducting seminars and presentations that is open to any member of the medical community.

  2. Visit sunnyjohn profile page

    About sunnyjohn

    Joined: Feb '05; Posts: 2,694; Likes: 126
    from US


  3. by   pkapple
    Nope, not midlevels in the general sense.


    "There are several important differences between PAs and RPAs that result from the fact that the RPA’s training is in radiology and not broadly based in general medicine. RPAs do not have education or licensing to practice medicine and therefore they cannot order tests or procedures, nor can they prescribe medications. There is no regulation of RPAs (outside of licensing as RTs), except in New York, where they are referred to as Specialist Assistants and practice under the Medical Practice Act. RPAs are not recognized providers for medical insurance reimbursement. "

    PA schools offered a radiolgy specialty as well as other specialties way back when, but stopped as this could limit scope of practice as a general PA. Many schools are again offering specialties, but as post or continuing education certifications.
    Radiology practitioner assistants are only trained for radiology, and most must be registered radtechs (RRT) that go back to school after 5 years of experience.