subjective / objective data

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I have a question on subjective and objective data.

I read over a few of the old threads but wanted some more info on this topic.

Below is the scenerio and what I "think" is right? Can any one help me out here?

Elan Njeri, an East Indian woman, is admitted for excessive uterine bleeding. She is scheduled for a hysterectomy tomorrow. She is Hindu and does not want any of the entrees on the menu offered to her. She is very modest and has a difficult time with the necessary pelvic exam.

Subjective:

pt modest

Hindu

objective:

female

refuses entrees on menu

excessive uterine bleeding

scheduled hysterectomy

difficulty w/pelvic exam

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

if you look at a dictionary definition of "subjective" you will find this: "of, affected by, or produced by the mind or a particular state of mind; of subject, or person thinking, rather than the attributes of the object through of. . .determined by and emphasizing the ideas, thoughts, feeling, etc. of the artist, writer, or speaker. . . in medicine, designating or of a symptom or condition perceptible only to the patient" (page 1452, webster's new world dictionary of the american language, college edition, 1966).

compare that to the definition of "objective": "of or having to do with a known or perceived object as distinguished from something existing only in the mind of the subject, or person thinking. . .real. . .actual. . .determined by and emphasizing the features and characteristics of the object, or thing dealt with, rather than the thoughts, feelings, etc of the artist, writer, or speaker. . .in medicine, designating or of a symptom or condition perceptible to others besides the patient" (page 1012, webster's new world dictionary of the american language, college edition, 1966).

elan njeri, an east indian woman, is admitted for excessive uterine bleeding. she is scheduled for a hysterectomy tomorrow. she is hindu and does not want any of the entrees on the menu offered to her. she is very modest and has a difficult time with the necessary pelvic exam.

subjective the underlined words are all the thoughts/judgments/feelings or the person who wrote the scenario:

• difficulty w/pelvic exam
  • modest
  • excessive (uterine bleeding)
  • necessary pelvic exam

objective (these are undisputed facts):

• east indian female
  • hindu
  • refuses entrees on menu
  • uterine bleeding

+ Add a Comment