Just accepted to school for NNP

Specialties NICU

Published

Specializes in NICU/Neonatal transport.

Hi!

I have a BA in Spanish and am going to be participating in Ohio State's direct entry graduate program for NNPs.

The NNP program is 1.5 years until we get our RNs, then we work in a NICU for at least 2 years, then come back for another 1.5 year to finish for the NNP.

I'm so insanely happy and excited about getting in and starting. My kids were both later preemies (A sick 34w and a healthy 35w) and I really wanted to work in the NICU, so I am very happy to get in. :)

Good luck! I am glad to see the program requires at least 2 years NICU work experience before completing the NP portion. I have been doing NICU about that long and still have days where I feel new:)

I was surprised that NNP was the only track that required that, even for us direct entry. Though NNP is the only critical care track, and that may be why. I was also surprised at the number of people who were turned off by the 2 years in the NICU. I was glad to have that, because having spent time in the NICU as a parent, I know how fast paced the NICU is, plus there is absolutely no margin of error on so many things because the babies are so tiny. Scary and yet exhilarating, but mostly scary :chuckle

I am so darn excited though. I was on pins and needles til I found out.

I think you have the better attitude. NNPs need to know their stuff and they also need to be clinically superior. They are the ones we go to when we need a tough picc line or IV inserted or whatever. You only get good at those things through working on the unit and practising. I can't imagine working with an NNP who didn't have previous RN experience and I imagine it would be difficult for them to get hired without it anyways. Plus, I've come to believe that intuition is an important part of working in the NICU and you only start to notice those really subtle differences once you've been there a while. I'm sure your fellow students will see the benefit of that requirement once they get onto the floor. What school will you be attending?

It's a national requirement for the 2 years in the NICU. And it's an 'at least' thing, if I understand correctly, if you feel you need another year or two working before completing, I believe that isn't a problem at all.

I'm going to Ohio State. :)

I shadowed an NNP before cementing my decision for that as my track and I remember that she was telling me that typically, she's the only one in their hospital (a level II+ NICU) who can intubate a preemie because the neonatologists aren't there a lot and there's only one NNP on duty per shift. That's scary, because that could mean the difference between life and death! I mean, hopefully you're not in those situations often, but you have to be able to handle them when you get there.

I wish it were fall already. I'm taking anatomy this quarter (and one of my first year nursing classes) and physiology and maybe stats next quarter, then pharmacology and chem over the summer.

I'm very glad they have these direct entry programs for us 2nd career nurses. This really makes my dream of being a nurse acheivable.

Congrats! I would love to do NNP in the future. I'm a fresh BSN graduate and just accepted a job in a level III NICU. The best thing, they have 2 NNPs in the unit! Plus the RNs get scheduled to go to all high risk deliveries. I'm VERY excited and can't wait till orientation! I totally agree about getting work experience b/f starting the NP track! I plan to apply after I have worked at least 12-18 months, if not longer. I hear some people complain about having to work first b/f starting, but seriously, in a unit like NICU, I don't see how someone without experience can possibly go straight through to NP program. Just my humble opinion of course :)

Congrats again and good luck!

I am currently in an NNP program, and have been a NICU nurse for over 10 years. Even after all that time, I still ask questions of the more experienced nurses. Of course, I also get asked questions by the newer grads as well...it is always a continuous learning cycle. When you know everything, you probably need to find a new job (not in nursing)!!! 2 years is a very minimal experience when it comes to NICU, because of the critical nature as well as the degree of change that occurs with new research. Most importantly though is the intuition aspect that only comes with experience...many times I have seen a neonate that just seems "not right". He may have no signs and symptoms of illness and his labs may all be peachy, but you've had that baby for 2 or 3 days in a row, and something is different today. Maybe just a few hours or a day later, guess what? Your gut was right...he becomes septic or whatever else, but he IS sick!! That only comes from day in and day out in a NICU for years. Take your time in learning, and much luck!!!

Congratulations!

I did a "bridge" NNP program several years ago. The 2 year RN practice was not mandatory then. However, after I completed my program I worked for 2 years as a staff nurse anyway. It was just too scary for me otherwise. Some in my class did not do this, and I think they really struggled. How nice to have a break in the program to work, then get the master's level classes. They would have been more meaningful to me if I had experience when I took them. Good luck to you!!

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes :)

I've started my next quarter, including my first nursing class (getting one of my first year, non-clinical courses out of the way) and it's just great. I am so impressed with the other people in the program (most of the people in my class are taking it as part of their first year of the program) and the teachers and professors.

I felt a bit like a geek, but I had to thank the woman who is in charge of the NNP track here because I know NNP is very competitive and I am just so grateful to have the opportunity to prove why I'm going to do a great job in this program :)

Right now I'm applying for a PT unit coord position at our Children's Hospital. I really want the position and hope I can get it. *crosses fingers* Any extra good thoughts and prayers for me would be really appreciated. I was an exec admin asst before I had kids so I know I have the skills needed, I just need the chance.

+ Add a Comment