group vs. individual interview...

Nursing Students SRNA

Published

Specializes in Critical Care, Emergency.

i had both group (georgetown) and individual (albany), and was wondering what anyone thought about the format of either one. albany, to me, felt a bit more at ease, even tho there were 5 separate interviews.. lasted 4.5 hours!!!

I didn't really prefer one or the other. The group interview was much faster and I kind of felt that when the pressure was on with one of them someone else would jump in with an anecdote, good guy, bad guy game. With individual, the pressure not quite as high during each interview, but man an indurance test. You are there all day.

Personally, I would rather have an indivdiual interview. This way, I would not hesitate to tell them how good I am, and advertise my attributes without sounding long winded in front of peers, and a larger group. Let's face it, when you're with a group, there is competition. When you do an individual interview, the pressure is different. I don't know how you can gain enough from just a group interview. It just seems like the school is missing something if they're only doing group interviews. just my opinion.

let me clarify.. by group, i mean it's you at a table with "x" number of interviewers/admissions committee taking turns asking questions. i agree, individual lets you shine several times at more comfortable intervals.

Specializes in Anesthesia, ICU, Oncology.
let me clarify.. by group, i mean it's you at a table with "x" number of interviewers/admissions committee taking turns asking questions. i agree, individual lets you shine several times at more comfortable intervals.

That is what did and let me tell you it felt like they were bringing us in one by one to the gas chambers:angryfire . There were four people with flat affects drilling. Not the friendliest environment like they said it was going to be. Plus they said the letters would mail out November 7th but they still aren't mailed as of November 27th. In the meantime I think I have several ulcers in my stomach.

PENN on the other hand had a one on one and the assistant director that interviewed me was friendly and still serious but did not look like he wanted me dead at the end of the interview.

Do a lot of programs perform this type of group interviewing? What programs did you guys experience this?

Do a lot of programs perform this type of group interviewing? What programs did you guys experience this?

All of my interviews were group format, rather than one-on-one. One interview had 4 people drilling questions, the other two interviews had two people on the panel, one with three different rooms of two people each.

Jennie

I know that TCU and TWU do group interviews.

hey dfk, I am interviewing at Georgetown on Thursday...any tips??

hey dms,

georgetown was pretty cool.. the campus is really nice and the facilities for crna students is pretty awesome. they just rewired their classroom, which is much more comfortable than most i have seen, to be wireless. i am not sure if the total campus is wireless. anyway, that was nice. the interview panel was pretty well receptive. not too intimidating. more nervous waiting with all the other applicants to interview. even the area outside campus is nice. if i got accepted there, i think i would go there. (however, they are waiting on my biochem final early december to make a decision - boo hoo!!) the one thing you can mention, that they pride themselves on, is the fact that they are the only school (i believe) that has 100% pass rate on boards. that is key, but remember, not a guarantee. it's what u put in to it, as in any program. ( i think albany is like 85%.) anyway, good luck and enjoy.

thanks for your response. I actually attended undergrad there so am pretty familiar with the facilities, but I havent been a nurse for too long, and am worried about the clinical questions (if any) they might throw my way. What kinds of things did they ask in the interview and how many people were interviewing you??

actually g-town didn't ask any clinical questions, basically just the why do u want to be a crna, why here, other non-clinical stuff.. i guess they gauge you on your credentials and yrs/experience.. i have over six yrs experience with about 4 of those in critical care/ed - -i also obtained my ccrn.. so i don't if they took that into consideration.. others may have had questions, but again, they may not even ask them.. but i would be familiar with things such as drips, why use them, which receptors are affected, swan numbers and what they may indicate, and vent experiences.. this is just a minimum, but the usual gamut.. just be honest, that's what everyone tells everyone.. let me know if i can be of any other assistance..

+ Add a Comment