entering air force crna program

Nursing Students SRNA

Published

Hello,

I am interested in intering the air force crna program and had a couple of questions that i was hoping the ya'll could help me with. First, i have read in some of the old threads that you have to serve atleast three years in the AF before even being considered for the program and i have seen some that state that you can inter straight into it, which one is it? If you do have to serve the three years is it hard to get into the program afterwards or is it pretty easy if you have all of the other needed requirements? I have heard that if you dont go into it straight in, then it can be pretty tricky and that it is best to enter it straight. Any other comments that anyone can share about the process of intering the AF crna program that ya'll can think of will be great.

wally:typing

I did a little research on a similar topic, but to my understanding, you will have to serve 3 (or so) years in the Air Force after completion of the program.

For example, a student who goes through the RN program in the Air Force, must serve the Air Force as a RN for three years to "payback" for the schooling.

That was quite some time ago when I looked into it and we could be thinking of two separate topics.

The best way to find out is to go to the Air Force's website. They have a free online live chat with representatives ready to answer your questions. Good luck!

Specializes in Critical Care, Emergency.

Bad news. The AF no longer has its own CRNA program. They depend on a precious few slots at USUHS in Maryland and at my school in San Antonio. I am attending USAGPAN in San Antonio and I'm currently in phase I of the program. There are only 3 AF students in my class and they are exceptional students. My class has the capacity to take 50 students per year. Do the math. We also have 3 VA students in my class. Once again, they are exceptional students. I'm telling you about the VA students because this is another option for those interested in obtaining a free education with a debt to be repaid by working. VA students only owe a 3-year work commitment. I will owe 4.5 years and I think it's 4 years for the AF. I'm not sure but I will gladly ask one of the AF officers in my class. They tend to stick together since they are so outnumbered by Army green, hooah. We all get along very well, the AF is the butt of all Army jokes but it's all in good fun.

You cannot enter the AF with a contract to go straight to CRNA school. You are required to serve 3 years on active duty with the AF before you can entertain the possibility of going through the application process. There are a lot of military-related variables that could render you ineligible to apply to CRNA school once you're already on active duty.

However, the Army provides a way for civilian RNs with critical care experience to join and go directly to CRNA school.

Army, SRNA

I am planning to apply to the Army CRNA program. I am a Air National Guard nurse with 2 years ED and now I just transferred to the ICU. I will be applying to 6/2010 class. How early did you apply? Were you on Active duty first? Thank you. Tejon

+ Add a Comment