Army CRNA program question

Nursing Students SRNA

Published

Specializes in Critical Care.

I have been researching the army CRNA program for direct accession applicants as well as the process/responsibilities of becoming an army officer for a few months now. About two months ago, I contacted my local healthcare recruiter for some specific questions. I waited weeks and attempted to follow up with her, but she never got back to me. So, I took it upon myself to email LTC Richardson and LTC Fisher (directors of Long Term Health Education and Army Human Resource Command, respectively). They were both extremely helpful, prompt, and positive in responding to my questions. Well, today I finally had my first face-to-face meeting with the local healthcare recruiter. I was well prepared for the meeting with a copy of the requirements for direct accession applicants, a copy of my transcripts and GRE score, and copies of the emails from LTCs Richardson and Fisher. While I'm sure the recruiter was trying to be helpful, I left the meeting very disappointed and dismayed. After researching the program requirements, I had been under the impression that I am well qualified. I graduated with honors from my BSN program in 2004, have a 1300 on my GRE (660 quant/640 verbal/5.0 writing), and over two years of critical care experience (currently work in a large level one trauma/teaching hospital), etc. However, the recruiter repeatedly emphasized how difficult it is for civilian applicants to gain entrance to the CRNA program. When I pointed out that the army has been unable to fill seats in recent years, she replied that despite not filling their seats, they have continued to turn down a large number of civilian applicants. Can anyone verify whether or not this is true? She told me that I needed to really "fluff" up my application in any way possible. Now I am in a frenzy because I went into this meeting thinking I was fairly well qualified. While I certainly want my application to be as competitive as possible, I not sure exactly how I can "fluff" at this point. I had planned on taking the CCRN exam at a later date but I didn't think it would make or break my application for the army program. Is it really necessary to push myself to take the exam before the June LTHET application deadline? I understand the need to have well qualified candidates, especially in the army where the ability to function in an autonomous environment is paramount. However, I am a bit offended that she would be so negative when I really feel that my qualifications make me fairly competitive for most civilian programs yet I am gladly willing to pledge 4.5 years of my life to the Army following the program's completion. Any thoughts from people who have recently gone through this application process or are currently doing so would be greatly appreciated. :uhoh21:

Saturn Girl,

Check your mail box, I sent you a PM.

Ready

Can you please post the replys on the board? I am interested in the answer also. Thanks.

The information given by the recruiter is incorrect. I am a direct accession applicant and will start school in June. Here is a link for the application process for a direct accession applicant http://www.dns.amedd.army.mil/crna/Application_Information/LTHET%20Guidelines%20Academic%20Year%202007%20for%20Direct%20Accession.htm As far as civilians being denied entry into the program, they did not fulfill the ALL the requirements necessary to accepted into the program. Anyone who meets the requirement, I encourage you to apply to the program. Although the Army does not fill all available seats, they will not lower the standard to attract more applicants.

I am also a civilian applicant (with prior enlisted service) starting the June class. Your local healthcare recruiter wants you to sign up as a nurse.period. They have pressure on them for numbers which is what you are right now. Decide what you want to do and stick to your guns. The guidelines clearly state what is the recruiters job and what is yours. Now realize that you may have to do everything with your boot in the recruiters backside. Use LTC Richardson and Fisher as much as they are willing to help you and ensure you have items in on time to give them as much reaction time as possible to be able to help you.

It can be done.

Specializes in Cardiac ICU and now QA for ICF/MR.

Is it harder to get into the CRNA program if you go ahead and get into the Army Nurse Corps first? I've read the requirements and I am wondering if it would take a lot longer that way. The recruiter said there is a fast track way of doing it. Does anyone know anything about that?

Is it harder to get into the CRNA program if you go ahead and get into the Army Nurse Corps first? I've read the requirements and I am wondering if it would take a lot longer that way. The recruiter said there is a fast track way of doing it. Does anyone know anything about that?

If you already have ICU experience, the direct accession route is faster. You are able to bypass the time on station requirement that applies to active duty nurses. I don't think it is harder to get into the program if you join the Army first and then apply. If you are a qualified applicant, you will be seriously considered especially in light of the fact that not enough qualified applicants apply to the program. Also, if you question what the recruiter says, just call down directly and speak to someone at the program to ensure you get correct information.

I say yes it will be harder and take longer. There are waivers for almost everything in the Army, including the 2 years time on station requirement, but that does not mean the command will give you one. You are taking a gamble of having to wait longer to get in.

Here is a scenario that happened to me as an enlisted Army medic. I wanted to apply to a program. I was sent to Europe with a requirement to complete 5/6 of a 3 year tour before being able to rotate back stateside. When I got back stateside, I had missed the application deadline and now had an additional 1 year time on station requirement. This can turn into an ongoing cycle depending on your situation.

If enter as a nurse you will attend OBC for 10-12 weeks, then go on to your assignment. You may get sent to a unit and be deployed. When you return you may be reassigned incurring another 2 year time on station requirement. See where this is going? This is obviously worst case scenario, but is a reality for many aspiring applicants. As long as you are willing to lose the gamble, and know that you will probably get in eventually, go for it. If however, you're goal is to get into school asap, then my advice is to apply now as a civilian. If it does not work out, you can then enter as a nurse (Making sure you are given the 8A critical Additional Skill Identifier ASI upon entry), but if you go the other way, you may have to wait longer than you would have to otherwise.

If you are qualified, you will get in eventually either way.

If you are qualified, you will get in eventually either way.

:yeahthat: This point cannot be emphasized enough!

I am in the process of going active (but still awaiting 1 more waiver) and have a slot in the Aug OBLC. I am considering my long term goals as well (I am prior service, 1LT AR ARNG). By the time I go in I will have 2 years ER experience at level II centers (I graduated in '05). I am considering the CRNA program in the Army. My recruiter (who has been straight with me so far) indicated that the civilian ER experience would count/qualify for the 2 yrs critical care requirement. Does anyone know that to be true?

My recruiter said that if that was my goal to pretty much immediately take the GRE and start the ball rolling once I get to my duty station to try and get in immediately after meeting the 2yr on station req. To try and make my options more open I was going to go with the 66H first and evaluate the options. In my contract I did sign up for the GCSP. So I do have the CC course available if needed.

Tanker,

Check your box

Ready

Sandman, I Also Am Attempting To Apply Direct Accession Into The Army Crna Program. Tell Me I Have The Bsn And All Of The Critical Care That Any One Would Need. I Have A 3.84gpa. But How Important Is The Gre, I Have Yet To Take It But Planning In 30-60 Days. Also The Science, Ie Bio-chem Etc, Do They Look Hard At That. Should I Take One Prior To Signing And Applying? My Bsn Was In 1999. I Could Take One Online Or At The Local College. My Recruiter States Its Harder Than Going In First. Something Tells Me He Not Exactly Correct. You've Done It, Congrts Big Time. Pls Give All The Adivce You Can Or Want To.

+ Add a Comment