Difference between Neuromodulators & Neurotransmitters

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

Specializes in CNA, RN Student.

I have Potter & Perry for Nursing Fundamentals and in the chapter "comfort" or about pain, it either has conflicting information, or I am not understanding it all. What is the difference between a Neuromodulator and a Neurotransmitter and why would it say that bradykinin is an excitatory neurotransmitter and then in a box say that it is an inhibitory neuromodulator. I went googling my butt off and now I'm so lost. I've read that neurotransmitters cannot be neuromodulators and then I've read the opposite. My final exam is in a few days, I guess I want to know the Potter & Perry answer if anyone has it, because that's what will be on the exam....and then if someone knows how it really is....please help me understand it...the real way. Thanks guys!

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

Per Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children, third edition, by Kathryn L. McCance and Sue E. Heuther, bradykinin is a plasma protein that is a primary kinin in the kinin system. In low amounts it causes dilation of vessels and interacts with prostaglandins to induce pain, causes extravascular smooth muscle contractions, increase vascular permeability and increase leukocyte chemotaxis. It is primarily important in the inflammatory response. With pain, particularly where there has been tissue injury, neurotransmitters are released. Neurokinin A is one of these neurotransmitters that is released from peripheral pain receptors at the point of tissue injury and it promotes the spread of pain locally (neurotransmission activity). Prostaglandin and histamine are also released as a result of injury. Nociceptors in the injured area are the nerve endings that are responsible for detecting and transmitting pain impulses. McCance and Heuther go on to say that bradykinin, in particular, acts as a neuromodulator though interaction with the nociceptors by depolarizing adjacent nociceptors. So, that is where you get the opposite action of the bradykinin and how it is both a neurotransmitter and a neuromodulator. It has to do with the underlying physiology of how bradykinin interacts with the other substances around it. Potter & Perry just didn't get more deeply into the physiology of how bradykinin interacts with other substances to produce both neurotransmission and neuromodulation.

Specializes in CNA, RN Student.

See, now it makes sense. You have just helped me take a load off my shoulder...thank you thank you thank you! It's hard to continue when there's just that one concept you can't figure out...you know? Again, thanks!

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

You are welcome. It is likely that you won't get tested over this. But, in case you are, you now know why a bradykinin does both jobs.

+ Add a Comment