Hurst Online Review...other review courses

Nursing Students NCLEX

Published

Hello. I'm new and have a question about review courses. I'm getting ready to graduate in May, BUT I have to take an exit exam for school that I feel like I'm not prepared for.

We are the first graduating BSN class from this school and our education hasn't been the best (IMO). I feel like I need a review course dealing with content review. I read the Kaplan exam book and it has great test taking strategies. I don't think Test taking is my problem, content is.

I plan on taking the Hurst review online and wanted to know if anyone else has taken her online review and what they thought.

My school friend is set on taking Kaplan. Which is fine for her but I feel for me, I need a content review course not a billion questions over over. I can do that on my own for less $$$.

I plan on taking the online because our exit exam is 4/19 and no time for a live review or else I would take it. I may take the live review after I graduate.

Our exit exam has us all scared and stressed. We have 2 tries to pass and if not, we don't graduate!!! They just told us this in January! How nice huh? It sickness me to go 4 yrs of school, only to be told ONE exam decides if I will graduate. I'm a good student, Honor society, 3.5gpa but we had a NLN diagnostic exam in December in which 99% of class failed. I got a 60%. The highest grade was 69% in our class!! Eekess!!

Enough babbling. Any tips on exit exams would be greatly appreciated. Hurst "online" review feedback would be excellent too!!! Do you think hurst is guided more towards content or test taking?

We had to take an exit exam for our school as well and throughout nursing. We had to take the RN assessment as our exit out of fourth semester to graduate:lol_hitti . I did questions from nclex 3000 and the eri world website and I scored the national average. If you feel that you are weak in certain content areas try and take a diagnostic tests to find out your strenths and weaknesses before trying to do a whole review couse before you even graduate. Once you identify your weaknesses:uhoh3: then grab a nclex review book which you can also use to study for nclex:) ( I used Saunders, it is great) and review those areas and do questions in those specfic areas. Also review labs values, major drugs digoxin ect. Hope this helps, I just passed the nclex a few days ago myself and I did not do a review couse, I read saunders did nclex 3000, mosby CAT,saunders CD and learning ext(just the quizzes not content). The whole exit exam thing is stressful:rotfl: but you do have a body of knowledge:bowingpur so you can and will do it!

Hope this helps,

Andrea:redbeathe

Andrea,

Thanks so much for the advice. I luckily found the NCLEX 3000 CD and Mosby's review CD on Ebay for $19.99. I have read many recommend NCLEX3000 so I ordered that without a bat of an eye.

I truly need content review. The diagnostic test we took in December told me my weakness. Endocrine, respiratory and musculoskeletal. It said was strong in Peds and OB. :rotfl: Which I think is funny.

Thanks again!

Bump!

I know more people have had to have taken Hurst review.

Specializes in Med-Surg.

I took Hurst review in person and then online--we got a big discount if we had been to the review in person. It was extremely helpful. I would loved to have taken it prior to my last nursing course--the information and her presentation would have certainly helped improve that grade!

Thanks! :) The person that recommended it to me said he wish he had taken during school too.

I've decided I'm going to take the online review because no live review here until May. I will start it next friday because I'm on spring break the following week. I plan on getting it done that week.

Wish me luck! If anyone else has anything great to say, please give feedback!

Does the online review cover the same things as the live review? Is it actual videos or is it just test materials? I'm not quite sure what an online review is... can someone explain?

Hurst seems to have a good reputation among this forum so I was thinking about using it to review.

But, since I live in Massachusetts, there is no way that I can attend the live reviews. Would a live Kaplan review course be better?

celle507

I haven't paid for the online review yet but someone else on this site told me it's like the online review except no real interaction. You can email and ask questions and they will answer all questions. I will let you know how I do. I plan on signing up Saturday. That way it expires way into June.

You have decide if Kaplan is for you or not. I hear 50/50 of people loving and hating Kaplan. Kaplan is geared more towards test taking and a little content. Hurst is geared towards content and test taking. I read the Kaplan book on test taking. It has really good techniques but I think it messed me up more than anything. That is for ME. My school friend loves Kaplan and truly believes in test taking skills.

Good luck in your decision

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany,

Just wondering how you are finding the Hurst review course. What is the format like? Is it pre-recorded live reviews that you can access at any time during the day? Another post said that you can ask questions... do they answer it quickly or does it take days? Are you able to view the videos clearly?

Also, does it come with questions that you can answer?

Thank you for all your help! I have to decide in a couple of weeks which review course I will take so any advice you can give me would be much appreciated!

Celle,

Just wondering how you are finding the Hurst review course. What is the format like?

It is a lecture style format. There are outlines to print out and follow along with her. She also uses a board for visual images.

Is it pre-recorded live reviews that you can access at any time during the day?

Yes they are prerecorded videos that you can watch whenever and anytime of the day.

Another post said that you can ask questions... do they answer it quickly or does it take days?

I haven't asked any questions but there are others that have submitted questions that you can read and get the answers.

Are you able to view the videos clearly? The video's are clear.

Also, does it come with questions that you can answer? YES! She has about 100 questions for delegation and management. Whew those were hard. Tons of priority questions and who would you see first or who would you transfer off the floor to make room for another patient. She also has a mock nclex at the end that you take. She then goes over all the questions and rationale's with you on a video! That is very helpful!

I highly recommend Hurst!!! I think she does a wonderful job getting you to understand how to think your way through questions.

Good luck in deciding!

Hurst Review focuses on the core content that you need to pass the exam, but also focuses on test taking strategies. You need both to pass. Good Luck to you all.

I'm an aspiring LVN hehe that sounds funny, and I failed my nclex-pn the first time and I was wondering do you think the Hurst Review would help me? I'm self studying and its hard, lots of distractions and so many places to go.....you know. Im struggling still with facing the fact that I didn't pass but nursing is my passion, I've wanted to become a nurse since I was a young girl, but I'm not rich, and this review is pricey so let me know? Is it really worth the price and also for LVNs?

+ Add a Comment