Sorry another CCP Question

U.S.A. Pennsylvania

Published

Hey guys, sorry for another CCP thread but...

I am hoping a current student or graduate of Community College of Philadelphia's nursing program can give me a little insight about what to expect now that I've been accepted.

1) Whats the general timeline of when I'll get more information about registration, or what I need to have done (background checks, CPR etc)?

2) Will the department send me any information about scholarships and grants specific to the nursing program. I already know I won't get PHEAA grant, and my Stafford loans will probably just be enough to cover tuition, with nothing left for books. I have started researching funding myself, but I'm hoping the school will have something to offer...

3) Approximately how much were books for the first semester (and subsequent semesters)? (That is books for Nurs101, thats the only class I'll be taking).

4) What are the uniform requirements for clinicals? Hours for clinicals? I think I've heard that it is 7am-1pm thursday/Friday. Is that correct?

5) Is there an orientation?

Thats all I can think of for now...thanks a lot in advance for any help that anyone has, or anything else that you want to share about the program...

Currently a last-semester student there, so hopefully this will help. My stuff's indicated with the >>'s:

Hey guys, sorry for another CCP thread but...

I am hoping a current student or graduate of Community College of Philadelphia's nursing program can give me a little insight about what to expect now that I've been accepted.

1) Whats the general timeline of when I'll get more information about registration, or what I need to have done (background checks, CPR etc)?

>>They assembled us the May preceding my first semester, and there they gave us the required textbook list (pretty much all four semesters' books up front, BTW - just to warn you!), and had us take measurements for uniforms that day. I believe they had already mailed info out about the checks (Criminal Background and Child Abuse Clearance, both done through Harrisburg - they indicated the addresses in the mailing). CPR was due the first day of class, and I got mine done a couple weeks before.

2) Will the department send me any information about scholarships and grants specific to the nursing program. I already know I won't get PHEAA grant, and my Stafford loans will probably just be enough to cover tuition, with nothing left for books. I have started researching funding myself, but I'm hoping the school will have something to offer...

>>I went with Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford's throughout - it's pretty much all the school itself offers, though periodically there will be info given out on scholarship opportunities.

3) Approximately how much were books for the first semester (and subsequent semesters)? (That is books for Nurs101, thats the only class I'll be taking).

>>This is the ugly part. The required list was about seven major texts, to be bought up front. The "used" sections of Amazon, Half.com, and Barnes n' Noble will be your friends! There are also about three or four other texts that are recommended (med dictionary, drug guide, clinical procedure handbook) but not strictly required. My tally came to about $800-900, but then you're pretty much done getting books for both years! Hate to bear the bad news, but better to hear about it now than in May, when I did!

4) What are the uniform requirements for clinicals? Hours for clinicals? I think I've heard that it is 7am-1pm thursday/Friday. Is that correct?

>>It's a college-issued uniform; as I said they measure everyone for them and you order at the orientation meeting. Through the same company you can get your stethoscope as well. Those are pretty much the hours for clinical, unless you do the odd rotation that takes place Wed. night and Thurs. morning, or whatever is available that semester. The hours you listed are most likely the ones you'll do.

5) Is there an orientation?

>>Just the meeting I mentioned, and orientation to the hospital at which you'll do clinical.

Thats all I can think of for now...thanks a lot in advance for any help that anyone has, or anything else that you want to share about the program...

>>Have a great semester and future career! And here's hoping they don't go on strike in a week or so...(not likely to affect your class, I would imagine, but it'll mess things up for us pretty badly!) :uhoh21:

Oh Thank you! Thats just the type of info I was looking for...

And the textbooks, ouch! I was hoping for the $500 range

About the strike, I have to admit I'm ambivalent about it. I feel for the faculty's position, but I really need to take Bio110 this summer, otherwise I'll have to do it my second semester, which I was hoping to avoid... maybe it will be straightened out by Summer II.

Oh, they'll give you a uniform. Prepare for ugly! :lol2:

And most of the clinicals are mornings, but there are also evening and weekend ones too. You get what you get and you like it! Good luck!

Oh, they'll give you a uniform. Prepare for ugly! :lol2:

Yeah, I'll second that. They definitely hit every branch on the way down the ol' ugly tree. six more weeks of them for me!!!

LOL, thanks for the warnings! Going today to pay my deposit!

LOL, thanks for the warnings! Going today to pay my deposit!

Hope you did end up going yesterday, for it seems the "strike" has struck.:o

Yup I did go yesterday, I knew I didn't want to have to cross the picket line to do it.

How will this affect nursing students? In any special way? Will you all still go to clinicals since its off-site?

Yup I did go yesterday, I knew I didn't want to have to cross the picket line to do it.

How will this affect nursing students? In any special way? Will you all still go to clinicals since its off-site?

No clinicals this week, which stinks because I'm set to start my last rotation at Jefferson this week. Don't know if you know this, but in second year the rotations are 6-week ones, with two per semester. We were supposed to start the new one this week, but....

All we're getting from the faculty, aside from their news updates on their voicemail announcements, is that all of our deadlines still hold. This is kind of nerve wracking, as today was supposed to be a big exam, and Monday a paper and for some of us (myself included) a big Powerpoint presentation is due. So, you know, our semester's grade kinda hinges on this very moment, and we're left high and dry!

It's hard not to be frustrated in this, though honestly I'm more frustrated with the Admins at the school than the faculty, who have no more leverage in this than we students do. That we're being treated as pawns in this, and right at the end of the hardest two years of school I've ever known is not cool!:devil:

[snip]

I may end up going in to use a computer tomorrow. I could care less about crossing the line, as I've already paid the technology fee to use the labs. One thought that comes to mind is that pinning is supposed to be May 4th, and the NCLEX review course is supposed to be the week of the 14th. It will be less than amusing if this nonsense pushes the semester into the 14th and cancels that review course. :monkeydance:

(dunno, just seemed like it needed a monkey)

+ Add a Comment