Indiana State U?

U.S.A. Indiana

Published

Specializes in CVICU, ER, Flight.

Hey all. Here is my situation. I attended another Indiana college for a few years for an unrelated major. After deciding to pursue a career in nursing, I changed schools and am currently working on my pre-reqs. The college I am currently at does not have a regular bachelor program, only a RN-BSN track. I feel that if I transfered all my work to a 4 year school, I would be able to use all my previously acquired credits and have a BSN in 3 years rather than an ASN in about the same timeframe. I am researching schools that I could attend for this degree and ISU came up. It seems like a decent school, plus its cheaper that IU, Valpo, or Purdue.

I guess my question is are there any ISU students or alumni around? I am curious about the program for nursing and just the school atmosphere in general. It's about a 4 hour drive for me to go to Terre Haute, so I can't just drive over and check it out. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Specializes in L&D.

I did my 1st 2 years of nursing classes at ISU. I liked it. I was very sad when my husband and I had to move due to the military. I found another school (in Alabama) to take my credits, and they are pretty equivalent to ISU.

The program is nationally ranked, so they are a good school.

They are currently merging with the College of Health and Human Performance so that the university can save $$--it's a touchy subject!

I would recommend making an appointment with someone there and either talking on the phone or in person to see if ISU can meet your needs. I would say APPLY as they are the only nursing program in Indiana (that I know of) that does NOT cap enrollment!! If you meet the qualifications, they will accept you.

I would say APPLY as they are the only nursing program in Indiana (that I know of) that does NOT cap enrollment!! If you meet the qualifications, they will accept you.

:eek: Do you know what the qualifications are?

I just changed majors d/t the fact that I couldn't get in anywhere with a 3.5GPA and excellent entrance exams. And I thought I had looked at every school in Indiana.

Specializes in L&D.

This link will give you the info you need. Good Luck!

http://www.indstate.edu/nurs/application-process.html

Specializes in Peds ED, Peds Stem Cell Transplant, Peds.
I did my 1st 2 years of nursing classes at ISU. I liked it. I was very sad when my husband and I had to move due to the military. I found another school (in Alabama) to take my credits, and they are pretty equivalent to ISU.

The program is nationally ranked, so they are a good school.

They are currently merging with the College of Health and Human Performance so that the university can save $$--it's a touchy subject!

I would recommend making an appointment with someone there and either talking on the phone or in person to see if ISU can meet your needs. I would say APPLY as they are the only nursing program in Indiana (that I know of) that does NOT cap enrollment!! If you meet the qualifications, they will accept you.

I graduated ISU with an ASN Dec/98 at that time they did cap enrollment, did things change.

I liked the program overall. Had a real problem with OB class, Over 3/4 failed it first time around. The teachers would say one thing in class, the book said another, on tests the books was used. You could not use the "Well you said this in class" when everyone else had the same notes you did and missed the same things you did thus the majority of people failed. The profs in OB class was very arrogant and even refused you from taping class. It was a real pain.

I have been trying to talk to someone about the Rn-BS program and no one ever answers the phone, all you get is a stupid voicemail.

Specializes in L&D.

ISU doesn't offer the ASN anymore. Only the BSN. And, they don't cap enrollement. When I was there they were doing everything they could to prevent having to cap enrollment. During the summer, a lot of the faculty takes vacation so there isn't a lot of people around.

A lot of the classes have been revamped under Esther Acree, the interim dean. Also, a lot of faculty have been replaced since you were there. Just like in every nursing program, there are classes that are simply unfair. I had a Peds class similar to your OB story at this university in Alabama. It just happens and you have to do your best to fight it and then move on. Don't let the one situation keep you from applying!

ISU doesn't offer the ASN anymore. Only the BSN. And, they don't cap enrollement. When I was there they were doing everything they could to prevent having to cap enrollment. During the summer, a lot of the faculty takes vacation so there isn't a lot of people around.

A lot of the classes have been revamped under Esther Acree, the interim dean. Also, a lot of faculty have been replaced since you were there. Just like in every nursing program, there are classes that are simply unfair. I had a Peds class similar to your OB story at this university in Alabama. It just happens and you have to do your best to fight it and then move on. Don't let the one situation keep you from applying!

I can't apply if there is no one to take my call. the Vacation stuff is bogus. Yes, they do take vacation, but not everyone at the same time and why isn't there a secretary to answer the phone? I left 3 voicemails and even emailed and all I got was a packet of info that can be found online. They to me appear be just as worthless, actually even more so now, then when I was a student.

Sorry if I seem critical, it is that that place really seem impossible.:uhoh3:

I can't apply if there is no one to take my call. the Vacation stuff is bogus. Yes, they do take vacation, but not everyone at the same time and why isn't there a secretary to answer the phone? I left 3 voicemails and even emailed and all I got was a packet of info that can be found online. They to me appear be just as worthless, actually even more so now, then when I was a student.

Sorry if I seem critical, it is that that place really seem impossible.:uhoh3:

I can understand your frustration. However, there is an online application to the university on their website. You will need to be accepted into the university before being accepted into the College of Nursing. For fall, the application deadline is June 1st, and for spring the deadline is November 1st, so you have plenty of time. They now require a TEAS test, and of course you will need to be up to date on immunizations and get a current background check. All of this information can be found on the College of Nursing web page.

I can understand your frustration. However, there is an online application to the university on their website. You will need to be accepted into the university before being accepted into the College of Nursing. For fall, the application deadline is June 1st, and for spring the deadline is November 1st, so you have plenty of time. They now require a TEAS test, and of course you will need to be up to date on immunizations and get a current background check. All of this information can be found on the College of Nursing web page.

That isn't the problem. I been online a 100X. What I want to know is it too late to be accepted this fall? That isn't in the information, neither are specific questions like that. As for being admitted, I graduated there with my ASN, so I have no reason to worry about admission process. Infact I also mentor students online there via email. But noone is availbe to answer specfic questions or answer the phone so I can set up an appointment to meet with them.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Specializes in L&D.

The application deadline was June 1, so, yes, it is too late to apply for this fall. But, you can apply for Spring, as that application isn't due until November 1. Those dates are posted on the website. :selfbonk:

Have you looked into the RN to BSN online programs? The University of South Alabama offers one, and I think you can still apply for the fall if you wanted to do the online degree.

The application deadline was June 1, so, yes, it is too late to apply for this fall. But, you can apply for Spring, as that application isn't due until November 1. Those dates are posted on the website. :selfbonk:

Have you looked into the RN to BSN online programs? The University of South Alabama offers one, and I think you can still apply for the fall if you wanted to do the online degree.

That is the thing I was told that ISU has an online BSN program, at least they used too ie a few years back, now there is nothing posted about it, thus I would like to know if it is still there and not advertising or was it discontinued.

Nevertheless, IMHO it is pretty irresponsible not to have have anyone there ever to answer the phone.:uhoh3:

+ Add a Comment