preparing for accelerated MSN, does anyone have advice for me? I have a Bachelor's

U.S.A. California

Published

degree in rhetoric from UCB and really want to go into nursing. I'm preparing for UCSF's accelerated master's program (NP) right now. I'm taking physio and doing really well, still, I'm nervous that I won't get into any schools in the area.

Among my questions-

should I take the 5 unit anatomy class at Merritt comm. college next smester as opposed to the 4 unit class? UCSF recommends the most rigorous class, but I have to take basic bio as a prereq. for anatomy and would rather not spend more time taking classes than I need to. Is this a bad approach?

At application time I will only have roughly a year of volunteer experience in a hospital care setting? Is this a good amount of time under my belt?

Is there any adivce anyone can give to me, a bright 33 year-old woman with a big heart but not tons of experience in the field? Are there any other programs one would recommend to me, or paths I should look into? Thank you so much!

Specializes in mostly in the basement.

Hi,

I was in your position not terribly long ago--sans the UCB degree--go CSUN!!!! Anyway, I actually did most of my pre-reqs. at college of Alameda and Merrit and I took the four unit class----this was only a few years ago and i don't recall there being a 5 unit option. What is additionally covered? Would need to know that before really answering. Off the top i would say it probably doesn't make much of a difference and more important to take a manageable load where you can get all A's.

Also, don't know your personal situation or how adventurous you are, but if UCSF doesn't work out you might look at out of state options. With CA so terribly impacted--and yes, it's the story around the country as well, but there are some highly rated private schools out there (Duke, Uof R, etc.) that have fairly competitive admissions. I chose an out of state accelerated BSN (1 year) that allowed you to distance your MSN portion for one year afterward so you're not stuck there after that one year. I did the ABSN because I had no clue what kind of NP I wanted to go for before I even became a nurse yet. Some people are comfortable doing that but I wasn't and I'm glad I didn't because I ended up hating the area I thought I would be most into. To each his own.

Also, should add that my particular school, though did grant me the BSN and helped me pass NCLEX w/75 first try is NOT one I would recommend. But if you're able to uproot for a year, those programs are an option and definitely do-able. You don't have time for anything but school that year anyway. REALLY. I'm an East bay girl and I got to experience a real winter. Fun, but never to repeat :)

Good luck!

PS. I would also HIGHLY suggest more volunteer/shadow experience. Not only to help the resume but more importantly to be sure this is really something you want to do. I'm known for not being a nursing field cheerleader(for myriad reasons) but I also now that of my 32 person all second degree class--fully 1/3 are already out of the clinical arena or nursing all together and we only graduated 2 years ago! Keep your eyes open. It can be great but look before you make the big leap.

Caveat to say I'm not assuming you haven't. Just a reminder to all in the same boat I not too long ago paddle away in....:)

+ Add a Comment