Leaving New Grad Contract for Military family

  1. Hi!
    I started my first nursing job July of 2017 and signed a new grad contract for 2 years after the 16 week orientation period.
    After being on my own for about 6 months now I've realized I don't really enjoy the job. The unit provides unsafe staffing and patient ratios in my opinion. The nurse educator and temporary director of the unit both left during my orientation so I never had any classroom time or new grad meetings that was outlined to be provided in my contract. I also was pulled off orientation 3 weeks early because they needed staff.
    The nurses I work with spend there days gossiping about other nurses or complaining about the management situation and I'm getting tired of feeling talked down to by patients, physicians and the charge nurses. I have no one to voice my concerns to since we have been managementless since I started.
    With all of this being said, I'm getting married to an active duty marine in August, he's currently on deployment and we've been separated for almost 2 years. We thought he might have the chance to move back to where I currently live when he gets back from overseas but it doesn't look like that's an option anymore. I really want to move on with my life and move to be with my husband, but I'm worried I will have to pay my current hospital thousands of hard earned dollars and ruin my chances of getting hired again.
    Sorry for the long post, just looking for anyone who has any information/advice on this! Thanks!
  2. Visit Audrey454 profile page

    About Audrey454

    Joined: Apr '18; Posts: 2
    from DC , US


  3. by   Ruby Vee
    While I don't have any specific information on your particular employment contract, most hospitals will make an exception for military families. Talk to them and see what you can work out.
  4. by   Meriwhen
    Talk to HR and review your contract to see if there is an military or other relocation out. However, keep in mind that such outs are usually for spouses. Being a fiancee doesn't always count, and so they may or may not grant it.

    FWIW, the military doesn't count fiancees either. After all, you don't get your dependent's ID and subsequent privileges until the active duty member submits a marriage license to the DoD. Ask me how I know.

    If there is no military/relocation out, then you will have to decide what to do. When you signed the contact, you agreed to 2 years' of working for them, so they do have the legal right to enforce that contract. If you talk with HR, you may be able to work out some agreement that will allow you to terminate your contact early. Or you may decide it's better to suck up that third year of separation and fulfill the contract. Or you may decide the best answer is to break it and be on the hook for reimbursing them. Only you and your fiancé can determine what will be the best for you two.

    Hope everything works out for the best for you.
  5. by   Audrey454
    I don't plan on trying to leave my contract until we are married, I have a military ID, copy of our marriage license and a copy of my husbands PCS orders.
    I'm concerned that the hospital I work for did not fulfill their end of the contract as well and wondering if it would be worth seeking out a lawyer.