Jump to content

2022 CRNA Start UT Health — Houston

Posted

Hello Everyone!

I am starting a super early thread for all the anxious people like me (raise your hand if COVID increased your anxiety 🙋‍♀️). I plan on applying to UT Health Science Center’s CRNA program here in Houston during the feb 2021 application cycle for the 2022 start date... I created this thread so we can all communicate about our process and journey, as well as potentially get advice and stats from those accepted before us!!

My Stats are meh, I am not really sure how I would stand out compared to most of you guys applying so I plan on getting as close as possible to acing my GRE, I’ve been studying for it for about a month now...

my nursing/science GPA : 3.26

CCRN, ACLS, PALS,

by the time I apply I will have worked 2 years as a CV/surgical ICU nurse right here in the med center at a top cardio hospital, trained on CRRT, ECMO, and Balloon pumps.

I plan on taking my GRE between December/Feb.

Will be taking Organic Chemistry and college algebra this fall! Will also take one or two advanced courses in Spring to boost my GPA a little LOL.

UT health is my first choice...

then baylor,

and last choice is tex wes ( only due to cost )

So yeah, lots of work ahead, but I am motivated. Any-who, tell me how your stats are and what you look forward to!

Edited by Letsgonurse

NurseNA, BSN, RN

Specializes in ICU.

Hiiii,

I am planning on applying as well. I am very very unsure but I was going to apply anyways. The reason I’m unsure is bc I’m just now starting my career as a nurse. I graduated recently and starting my SICU career at a level 1 trauma center. By application, I’ll have 9 or so months of experience and almost 2 years by matriculation. I know many people will have different opinions of how I am going about this with no experience yet but I’m honestly just applying to apply. I know many people that have gotten into CRNA programs in the way I’m going about it!

My BSN GPA is 3.55 & I have another prior BS degree. Planning on taking the GRE in December/January. And I just finished up my Organic Chemistry course last week 🙂

Goodluck!

Edited by NurseNA

24 minutes ago, NurseNA said:

Hiiii,

I am planning on applying as well. I am very very unsure but I was going to apply anyways. The reason I’m unsure is bc I’m just now starting my career as a nurse. I graduated recently and starting my SICU career at a level 1 trauma center. By application, I’ll have 9 or so months of experience and almost 2 years by matriculation. I know many people will have different opinions of how I am going about this with no experience yet but I’m honestly just applying to apply. I know many people that have gotten into CRNA programs in the way I’m going about it!

My BSN GPA is 3.55 & I have another prior BS degree. Planning on taking the GRE in December/January. And I just finished up my Organic Chemistry course last week 🙂

Goodluck!

Where did you take your Chem course if you don't mind me asking? And I JUST reached my one year mark for nursing so I say go for it!!

NurseNA, BSN, RN

Specializes in ICU.

1 hour ago, Letsgonurse said:

Where did you take your Chem course if you don't mind me asking? And I JUST reached my one year mark for nursing so I say go for it!!

Thanks for the support! & I took mine at a community college! (Blinn college). I don’t recommend it bc it does have a lab portion that’s not needed but they don’t offer a course without lab. I took it bc lab was online for me bc of Covid so I took advantage of that LOL. It’s no longer being offered online 😕

Florenceforgiveme

Specializes in STICU. Has 4 years experience.

Hi thanks for starting this thread! I am planning on applying for the Summer 2022 start date. Did you mean you were applying for the July 1, 2021 application cycle? I didn’t think there was more than one application cycle per year.

I have been a STICU nurse in a level one trauma facility for four years. My GPA is 3.8. I’m working on Chem right now and will take my GRE soon. My question for y’all Is what kind of volunteer and hospital committees you are involved in. I’m trying to decide what will make my application stand out. 
 

I appreciate any insight. Good luck  everyone! 

On 8/7/2020 at 4:46 AM, Letsgonurse said:

Where did you take your Chem course if you don't mind me asking? And I JUST reached my one year mark for nursing so I say go for it!!

I would look into your local community college, almost all of the labs are online due to covid which makes things so much easier and cheaper! 

1 hour ago, Florenceforgiveme said:

Hi thanks for starting this thread! I am planning on applying for the Summer 2022 start date. Did you mean you were applying for the July 1, 2021 application cycle? I didn’t think there was more than one application cycle per year.

I have been a STICU nurse in a level one trauma facility for four years. My GPA is 3.8. I’m working on Chem right now and will take my GRE soon. My question for y’all Is what kind of volunteer and hospital committees you are involved in. I’m trying to decide what will make my application stand out. 
 

I appreciate any insight. Good luck  everyone! 

I would look into your local community college, almost all of the labs are online due to covid which makes things so much easier and cheaper! 

Hey! I thought the app cycle was from feb-July 2021 giving us about 5 months to submit apps?  And I am a part of my CLABSI/CAUTI/HAPI review board on my unit, as well as Unit Practice Council, and our floor also donates to a transplant program for the community. I have an AACN membership now due to taking my CCRN too. 
Even then though, I feel like I need to do MORE LOL!

 

And thanks I may just do the community college route! 

hedwig

Specializes in Emergency Room.

Hello guys, I’ve been a nurse for 8 years and just started working in an ICU. Gonna get my ducks in a row to apply to UT Houston CRNA school. Could you tell me which organic or biochemistry classes you took? The class code. I took O-Chem 1 and 2 in 2017 but it says it must be “at an academic level above an introductory class” which is a bit confusing. Also, did y’all have to take the lab?

 

thank you. Good luck everyone :) 

On 9/24/2020 at 3:25 PM, hedwig said:

Hello guys, I’ve been a nurse for 8 years and just started working in an ICU. Gonna get my ducks in a row to apply to UT Houston CRNA school. Could you tell me which organic or biochemistry classes you took? The class code. I took O-Chem 1 and 2 in 2017 but it says it must be “at an academic level above an introductory class” which is a bit confusing. Also, did y’all have to take the lab?

 

thank you. Good luck everyone 🙂

If you took ochem1/2 you’re good. Introductory is like “intro to organic Chemistry” 

ICUnerd11, BSN

Specializes in ICU. Has 3 years experience.

Hi everyone, new here but I plan on applying to UT houston during this next application cycle. I currently work in a general ICU and have been here since a new grad for 3 years. I am certified to work balloon pumps and CRRT along with certs in PALS, ACLS, and TNCC. I will be taking my CCRN and GRE in the next couple of months. Undergrad GPA is a 3.6 and grad school 4.0. Along with my BSN, I have a degree in Biology so maybe that will help my application. Grad school classes have been for my FNP but I am having a change in heart to pursue CRNA. I will be re-taking my o-chem class due to my last one being over 5 years old. I am not apart of any committees in my hospital but I am a preceptor for new grads coming on and precept new grads from the local University in town. Hopefully, we will get a shot this year. Good luck everyone! 

Cyrus1124

Specializes in SICU. Has 2 years experience.

Are you guys also applying to Baylor this cycle?

ICUnerd11, BSN

Specializes in ICU. Has 3 years experience.

I plan on it. 

TexasRN_826

Specializes in ER/ICU. Has 7 years experience.

does anyone know if you submit letters of recommendation before you finish your application - if they hold on to them?

 

sounds like a silly question but Im trying to have the faculty submitting letters for me while I study for GRE and then Ill move on to finishing the essay portions of the application. 

Hi everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one out here that's anxious and prepping for application season :)

Similar to @NurseNA, I am fairly new as a nurse but still really want to apply. The main thing that I am concerned about is that I lack my CCRN. I know that UT Houston does not require it, but it's "highly recommended". Other than my CCRN, the rest of my stats are (imo) decent. I'm just scared that I won't hold up as a competitive applicant because of this despite the rest of my qualifications :/ Any advice?

Also, good luck to all those applying!

templean

Specializes in ICU. Has 2 years experience.

I'm applying this year too. I have one year of MICU experience and one year of CVICU experience. Trained to take CRRT, IABP, Impella. I'm currently travel nursing to prepare financially. I have ACLS, BLS, and PALS. I took the CCRN in December and passed. I just finished my organic class. The only thing I have left is the GRE and I'll be able to submit my application. 

I took organic through Doane University. All online and it has a lab. It cost me around $1800 I believe. It's an 8 week class. The only test was the final and it wasn't proctored. It's A LOT of self teaching. I felt it was very doable working full time. Keep in mind it was the only class I took at the time and I wasn't studying for anything else during those 8 weeks. I feel like there are more affordable options if you do more shopping around. If you have any questions on whether or not the class you're looking at is accepted, just email the school. They got back to me within a few hours with a yes or no.

For the CCRN I used the Barron's book and the AACN CCRN resources. I wouldn't pay for the AACN videos again. Barron's is really all you need. I felt the Barron's practice tests were much harder than the actual CCRN. 

For the GRE I'm using Magoosh. I bought a GRE book but I like Magoosh better. The math videos are really helping me out a lot more.

My GPA is 3.6 and I haven't been part of any committees at my old full time jobs. Now that I'm travel nursing, I won't have the opportunity anymore. The only thing I can think to make me stand out is to take the CMC or CSC.

Hope this helps someone!

 

headofcurls, BSN, RN

Specializes in Critical Care. Has 5 years experience.

On 3/15/2021 at 3:45 AM, templean said:

I'm applying this year too. I have one year of MICU experience and one year of CVICU experience. Trained to take CRRT, IABP, Impella. I'm currently travel nursing to prepare financially. I have ACLS, BLS, and PALS. I took the CCRN in December and passed. I just finished my organic class. The only thing I have left is the GRE and I'll be able to submit my application. 

I took organic through Doane University. All online and it has a lab. It cost me around $1800 I believe. It's an 8 week class. The only test was the final and it wasn't proctored. It's A LOT of self teaching. I felt it was very doable working full time. Keep in mind it was the only class I took at the time and I wasn't studying for anything else during those 8 weeks. I feel like there are more affordable options if you do more shopping around. If you have any questions on whether or not the class you're looking at is accepted, just email the school. They got back to me within a few hours with a yes or no.

For the CCRN I used the Barron's book and the AACN CCRN resources. I wouldn't pay for the AACN videos again. Barron's is really all you need. I felt the Barron's practice tests were much harder than the actual CCRN. 

For the GRE I'm using Magoosh. I bought a GRE book but I like Magoosh better. The math videos are really helping me out a lot more.

My GPA is 3.6 and I haven't been part of any committees at my old full time jobs. Now that I'm travel nursing, I won't have the opportunity anymore. The only thing I can think to make me stand out is to take the CMC or CSC.

Hope this helps someone!

 

I also am travel nursing and haven’t been a part of any committees. I’m concerned about getting references. Any ideas?

templean

Specializes in ICU. Has 2 years experience.

I already have references from past staff jobs

Cyrus1124

Specializes in SICU. Has 2 years experience.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:55 PM, TexasRN_826 said:

does anyone know if you submit letters of recommendation before you finish your application - if they hold on to them?

 

sounds like a silly question but Im trying to have the faculty submitting letters for me while I study for GRE and then Ill move on to finishing the essay portions of the application. 

I thought it was okay that they would save all the letters before I submit the application, so I asked one of my professors send it out. Now it got lost! I don’t want to bother the same professor again and I’m trying to find someone else to write me a letter. I would recommend do that after you submit the application. 

AnnCCRN

Specializes in MICU/CCU/CTICU. Has 6 years experience.

Hi @headofcurls the last 3 years of my 6 years ICU experience I have been a travel nurse to save money before the big step of applying to the DNAP. I suggest that you should ask two recent nurse managers/supervisors you have worked with via traveling, for a recommendation letter since, it's not consistent. I am also applying for the Summer 2022 cohort. I graduated with 3.9 overall GPA for my BSN with 3.75 science GPA. Due to the tuition being cheap, I feel that their entrance program is very competitive. I do have my CCRN and TNCC. The only thing I need to complete is my GRE.