1. Hi guys,
    Quick question for CRNAs in England, etc. Someone in class today (pharmacology) asked me to ask this question.
    They heard that the "set up" in England is backwards. (sorry, opposite of ours). We heard that in England they set up the vent, bag,e tc on the pt's left.
    I can only say to what we have experienced in our own little world here in Southern Cal (16 sites) we set up the gases/vent on the pt's right. Having the med cart with drugs and blades on the left.
    Silly questions, but I'm between classes, waiting for the glorious US Army to bring us lunch. Who said there is no free lunches?
  2. Visit Qwiigley profile page

    About Qwiigley

    Joined: Aug '01; Posts: 569; Likes: 69
    CRNA (Nurse Anesthetist)
    Specialty: 11 year(s) of experience


  3. by   gotosleep
    From my understanding, the UK does not have nurse anesthetists. Anesthesia is done by physicians only. I may be wrong though.
  4. by   loisane

    As I understand it, anesthesia in the UK is 100% physician given. These physicians are called "anesthetists".

    I have never heard about the "reverse" arrangement. It is an interesting question, to which I hope you get some response. I have heard discussions in this country that the "usual" set up you describe is pretty consistently held. It is so standard, that CRNAs who are left handed have had to come up with some unique adaptations to make it work. And SRNAs who are left handed really need mentoring from these left handed CRNAs, to really learn the tricks that make it work.

    A while back there were some posts from hollyxuk. She said she was a RN in the UK, about to transfer into the OR to work with the anesthetists. She wrote in response to a thread I started called "motivators". I asked her to comment about induction in the UK (which I understand takes place in a special induction room, and then the patient is taken to the actual OR), but she didn't answer. If she is still around, maybe she could educate us some more about across the pond.

    loisane crna
  5. by   lisamct
    Not that Im any kind of expert on the subject as Im a Learning Disability Nurse but you are right in saying that in the UK all anesthesia is administered by an anesthetist who is bacically a qualified doctor specialy trained in anesthesia.
    Also, in my personal experience of 2 surgeries both times anesthesia was given in a dedicated anesthesia room prior to being taken into theatre (OR). I think this is the way it is done most everywhere.
    Hope this helps,
  6. by   Brenna's Dad
    I am originally from Canada, where anesthesia is also a 100% MD practice. Like England, physicians specializing in anesthesiology are also called anesthetists.

    When I first came to the US, I couldn't figure out why the docs were getting so "huffy" when I asked them if they were the anesthetist.

    "No! I'm the anesthesiologist." Toemato, Tomato I thought. It wasn't until I started researching nurse anesthesia, that I realized I was offending their egos. As I write about it here, I realize it's still kinda funny.