Hello, I am really new and somewhat baffled by this, any insight appreciated.I was assigned a pt today, DNR/DNI, who was waiting placement in hospice. He has lung CA, pnemonia, and exacerb CHF. His LS coarse. Eve shift day before had low UOP, nurse did bald scan, 400 cc, removed catheter and ut in new one. Overnight c/o vague abd discomfort. Pt really weak, cannot talk very well. also overnight was placed on face tent at 15L. when I came on in am, sats 100% face tent. so I placed him back on humidified NC 6L and his sats remained 95% (I did this partly so he could drink/eat without mask, and if he was sating well, he didnt need the mask, and all that O2). gave him his meds, checked/changed gtt bag. He denied pain. went to see other pt.New order for Bumex gtt to be changed to 2.5 mg/min, went to changed rate (it was to be titrated accg to UOP, which was minimal. Pump had warning that this dose exceeded safe level. Went to drug book, recommended max 10 mg/day. called pharm, they confirmed. Went to resident, he changed to 2 mg. asked him if he wanted if still titrated, as it would be titrated up still as low UOP. He said yes. team in room, along with nervous distraught crying family. family asked team about pt c/o pain to abd/catheter. team told me to pull catheter. team left, family asking me all sorts of questions, esp about pt pain. I said pt denied pain earlier to me, that there are PRN meds, and that we assess regularily, is pt stoic about pain? there is also the option of scheduled pain meds as oppsed to PRN. they went to team and requested that- sched, pain meds.Contacted RT to give pt neb, pt unable to effectively cough, LS coarse. RT gave pt ned and suctioned, said they did the best they could buy LS still coarse, still sating 95% 6L NC.Went to pharm, explained situation, they said no, it would cause more probs if up from 2 mg/hr. Went to Dr, he said he discussed this w/ team, they felt up to 4 mg max/hr was ok, he wrote order. Went back to pharm, they said they would call Dr.I also was concerned about pulling pts cath when his UOP was so low and he was on bumex gtt. tried to talk to DR about this, but he was exhaused, caught up in another pt, and basically waved me off (you know the feeling). Went to talk to my charge nurse. she said why not try it, and monitor if he goes in depends/briefs, if not we can put catheter back in. discussed this with family who agreed, afer sharing my concerns about pulling catheter.New order for Bumex to be max 2 mg/hr. Pulled cather. Pt couldnt void. New shift coming on. New RN did bladder scan and 743 ml retained. she decided to put in new catheter with lidocaine. I ws finishing up charting on my shift.Question: I feel really bad I didnt do bladder scan initially on this pt. should I have?? I am so new, I feel I am really missing things!! Also, pt said he had no pain in am....dot dot dot...Also, pt will be sent home tomorrow since family didnt like hospice facility that was set up today...with this bladder issue, I am scaed for the situation...Also, should I have really pressed the Dr who didnt want to deal with me? I was really caught up initially in the whole Bumex dose issue, and didnt even really get to the bladder output issue yet before 2nd shift was coming on. Also what can cause retaining urine when a foley is in? he has generalized edema from CHF (I believe). His urine was very concetrated as well. I feel I had little time to deal with all this, and search for this mystery!What should I have done differently, what did I do wrong. I would like to learn so that I can be a good nurse, not an incompetant one.thanks to all experienced nurses out there who take the time to respond!PS please feel free to ask additional questions.