Question regarding IP in California

  1. I was wondering if anyone had any insight/info. on the California RN Interim Permit.
    I've checked on the California BRN website and couldn't find the answer so here goes.

    Once granted an IP, can one continue to work as a CNA or NA OR do they have to work to their license (meaning in a RN role only)?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Visit Catzilla profile page

    About Catzilla

    Joined: Feb '12; Posts: 118; Likes: 300
    Nurse. NuRsE. NURSE! n-u-r-s-e!! NUUURSE.; from US


  3. by   bayareastudent0711
    in california, you can work as a CNA with your RN license. or actually you can work as a NURSING ASSISTANT as a RN, CNA means you are legally certified.
    employers frown upon RNs as CNAs because they train you for bedside care but know you are not going to stay. they don't like to train if its not going to be a longterm relationship.
    and remember.. although you work in that role. you are legally responsible to that patient as an RN so you must ADVOCATE ADVOCATE ADVOCATE if you have even a feeling that a patient needs more attention. you are legally responsible as an RN and you must follow hospital policy and procedures an NA/RN. you cannot act outside your scope as an NA, but you still need to advocate for your pt.
    because if you go to court. they will see you are an RN, and that you had the knowledge to do something for someone. and you didn't because it was out of your hospital scope as an NA. that won't hold in court.

    but lots of new grads do it. =) good luck!
  4. by   Catzilla
    Thank you for the information, I appreciate it!