Applied for RN license in current state how do I transfer RN license if moving as a new grad

by BSNnurse20 BSNnurse20 (New) New Pre-Student

Hey everyone I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have less than 3 weeks left of my BSN program. I currently applied to get a non-compact license in the state my school is in (Oklahoma). I am technically a California resident so I was not able to get a compact license. I had accepted a job and planned on working in Oklahoma in an ICU up until now. I recently was offered an ICU job in Missouri which is where I had been trying to relocate to due to family. They would like me to start the 3rd week of September.

My question is: Do I continue and get my licensure in Oklahoma and then apply for endorsement to Missouri after obtaining my RN license or do I become an Oklahoma resident quickly (if possible) and switch my licensure request to be a compact state? One other option would be to reapply for licensure in MO and withdraw my license request from OK. Any advice is appreciated.


3,380 Posts

As to becoming an OK resident, I’m not sure that you would be eligible to establish residency in OK. If you want to explore this option, you can find a list of documents required to change your primary state of residence to OK on the OK BON NOTIFICATION OF CHANGE OF ADDRESS WITH DECLARATION OF PRIMARY STATE OF R The advantage to this would be that you could work on your OK multi-state license while your MO license is being processed.

The easiest, cheapest, and fastest process might be to change the state you want the results sent to from OK to MO. Information on how to do so can be found in the Change Nursing Regulatory Test Type or Exam Language section here:

Best wishes.