Jump to content

Accepting Job Offer

Career   (314 Views | 2 Replies)
by sloths95 sloths95 (New) New Student

43 Profile Views; 3 Posts

I recently was given a verbal offer last week for a new grad position at one of my local hospitals. It is on floor that I like (I had clinical there), so I told them I was interested, but I asked if I could delay accepting it as I had another interview at the same hospital for the ED. They agreed, and said they would call back the next week (which my interview is this week , so I'm a little unsure about that since they're calling before I will have heard back from the ED interview).

My main problem is that the two hospitals in my city hire much earlier than a lot of other ones that I've looked at. I graduate in August. I've applied at some hospitals out of the area that say they will begin to look at applications around March or April and some hospitals I can't even apply at until closer to my graduation date. My top choice is currently accepting applications, and if I'm selected further, I wouldn't receive a job offer until April. 

I don't want to lose a job offer in the hope of others. Is it highly frowned upon to accept my current offer only to rescind it if I get another one? I hate to do that, but I simply don't have a large time frame for accepting the offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nurse SMS has 9 years experience as a MSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

5 Followers; 6,220 Posts; 48,796 Profile Views

Frowned on? Yes. Uncommon? No. End of the world? No.

You are fortunate they are giving you the time to explore the ED opportunity. Most employers will simply move on to the next candidate. Nobody wants to feel like  they are second choice and hiring managers are no different. It is not surprising they won't wait until you "see" if you get an offer from them. You must evaluate for yourself and make a decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Posts; 43 Profile Views

Thank you for responding! I went ahead and accepted the offer. They actually are having me reapply to ED in July after completing my preceptorship. Looking ahead I may have to rescind it mainly due to finances and location, but I am certainly lucky to have an offer at this stage! Thanks again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.