Seattle University APNI - Page 4Register Today!
- Apr 2, '09 by jeccagoldANPIStudent: Sorry I didn't see your post when I submitted mine earlier! The Elysian is a great place and centrally located, but I'm a little worried about parking around there. I didn't mean to contradict your earlier post! Where in the south end are you coming from?
But whatever works for everyone is great for me -- I'm totally flexible!
Karla: Here's a link to an extremely long thread/discussion about it that I've been slowly trying to get (skim) through http://allnurses.com/nurse-practitio...me-160044.html. It's a lot to sort through, but if you've got the time it might be of interest -- and might answer some questions.
- Apr 2, '09 by APNIStudentNo worries. I thought the parking worries were funny after all the "move to northgate- its so busable" stuff. I try not to drive myself, and was just trying to come up with something close to campus- hence why I was thinking Central Seattle -but I'm happy to drive to northgate to meet you all! I'm looking forward to seeing who is in the program. Can you post the address and phone of the restaurant you're thinking of? Is 6:30 or 7pm still a good time Monday?
For those of you not yet in town, I'm sure there are many get-togethers to come...
Happy movings, and see you soon!
- Apr 2, '09 by jeccagoldMonday around 6:30 or 7pm works for me. Here's the address and phone number. It's right across from Crate & Barrel and the parking garage in the Village -- pretty hard to miss.
2650 University Village
Seattle, WA 98105
I emailed Sabrina Brown and told her that we're making plans to have a Seattle area get together, so when we decide the time and location she can (hopefully) tell the rest of our cohort. Also, we should try to get a headcount so we know how many tables we need or if we should make a reservation.
- Apr 2, '09 by APNIStudentI'm in. See you there!
- Apr 3, '09 by ksc2004Sounds great! I'm in too! Should we shoot for 6:30?
- Apr 3, '09 by avbc830Monday works for me and either time is great!
- Apr 3, '09 by APNIStudentI think the earliest I can do is 6:45, but let's call it 6:30 and I'll drift in when I can. Mike, if you look here again, will you post this to facebook? Jessica, will you take care of a reservation if needed? Hope to see y'all there!
- Apr 3, '09 by yogakimHi all-
My name is Kimberly and I am in the FNP track for the APNI program this June. My husband Timothy and I are moving to the area from the Key Peninsula and are currently looking for a place 'around' the SU. That's his job today in fact. I have a background in midwifery and working as a doula (I was not a midwife but I was studying that and working a little as an assistant). I am looking forward to getting to know you all better!
- Apr 3, '09 by ksc2004Just an update about the MSN to DNP transition. This is what I've gathered:
Since we will be graduating before the year 2015 we will be "grandfathered" through, meaning it is ONLY a recommendation that we get our DNP's BUT it is not REQUIRED. SU will also be starting a post-master's DNP Program within the next 1-2 years, so we will also have that option after our graduation.
BUT... having a DNP does not change our scope of practice, meaning as DNPs, our role will still entail everything that an MSN, ARNP does.. I hope this makes some sense. It is yet another transition in our field. Just like Audiologists... they were once only required to get their MS/MA, which took about 2-3 years, now to practice as an AUD-CCC you need a Doctorate Degree (4-5 years), but everyone who were audiologists before the transition did not have to go back for more schooling. Many professions are transitioning to a "Doctorate," like Speech Language Pathologists, they will soon ALSO need Doctorate Degrees to practice as SLP-CCC's.
It's all too new and confusing right now, but hopefully we'll learn more about this transition.
What do you guys think? Will you be getting your DNP's even if its not a requirement... ahhh... so frustrating. LOL
- Apr 3, '09 by NB4u2nvHello to all future APNI students. It's great to hear how excited everyone is. My name is Naomi and I graduated from the UW in Biology. It's going to be great having smaller classes and getting to know you all. I'm really pumped to start the GNP track (gerontological nurse practitioner). I currently reside in the North end and I know there are carpool parking passes that run $91 a quarter. So if anyone lives near the area, I'd be more than happy to carpool. Let me know if you are interested. I look forward to a great nursing journey at SU and wish the best of luck to all of you!