Travel Nursing in VirginiaRegister Today!
- by openheartgirl Mar 31Hi everyone! I am about to accept an assignment in Norfolk, VA at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Has anyone traveled to the VA beach/Norfolk area, or to this hospital in particular?
I am taking an assignment with American Mobile, i know, I know. My other agencies were unable to get me near the beach, in my specialty, and I am actually getting paid better than with my previous agency.
Does anyone know of the housing in this area that AM uses?
- Mar 31 by llgSentara Norfolk General Hospital is a good hospital. But like any hospital, some units are better than others. I don't anything about the housing AM uses, but within the region, people commute between VA Beach and Sentara Norfolk General all the time. You might not live "at the beach," but regardless of where you live, you could easily go to the beach on a day off.
- Mar 31 by openheartgirlAs long as I'm within 30-40 min of a beach I am perfectly happy! AM hasn't told me yet where I am going, which is ok, contract isnt until 5/6. But I just like to research the area on line first to see if its safe, wheres the grocery store etc.
- Apr 2 by BSNINTHEWORKSI have 2 Navy brothers, a Commander and a Chief, who were stationed there and now live in Chesapeake. Lots and lots of military! if you don't mind the crowds, you will LOVE the area! You've got to check out the Mexican bar & grill called Guadalajara. It's on the main strip near the beach. There are lots of karaoke bars, restaurants, shopping. It kinda reminds me of Duvall Street down in Key West.
If you get a chance to go to Chesapeake on a day off or something, check out Big Woodys. They have live bands there. EVERYBODY goes there.....very loud and noisy. If you want a little more quietness, go directly across the street to this 'other' place, forgot the name but it is very nice, too. Both of these restaurants are on the river located at the drawbridge in the heart of town. Youwill love it, especially during the time of year that you're going! Have fun!
*just realized that you asked about grocery stores.....can't help you there. We cook out and eat out when I go visit. They ALWAYS send the kids to the store. So, I can't tell you where they are.....just that they are there somewhere. Lol! I will actually be there on May 11th for a few days......can't wait!!!
- Apr 2 by llgBig chain grocery stores all over the place. No problem. Just find the one nearest to where you will be living. There is a Harris Teeter about 5 minutes from Norfolk General ... a high-end version of Food Lion about 10 minutes from the hospital. Just about every neighborhood is near at least one of the big chains.
The geographic area (connected by "freeway" type roads) is large -- and ranges from a city atmosphere ... to suburban ... to rural, depending on the specific neighbor. There are downtown apartment buildings in the center of Norfolk, houses that have been converted to 2 or 3 apartments in Norfolk, suburban apartment complexes in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach ... and a few rural areas in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Suffolk. There are lots of possibilities and you will have to ask your travel company to tell you exactly where you will be living.
- Apr 2 by openheartgirlThanks everyone! Im excited! I love Harris Teeter, currently in Raleigh and I shop there all the time. Ive asked my recruiter but she doesnt know which specific place they are going with yet so Im trying to get an idea of what to expect.