Houston Community College ADN
- 0Aug 28, '09 by Deyanna119Hello All,
I am finishing up my B.S. in Health Science right now, and I am interesting in applying to HCC's ADN program for fall 2010. The website isn't very helpful, and I am currently living in Oregon, so I can't just pop in and get info. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Like what are my chances of getting in? - I have taken both A&P's, and everything else except pharm and micro, I have a 3.6 GPA, and I will have a bachelor's degree. If I take the pharm class online this spring will I be able to apply to the fall 2010 ADN program?
- 0Sep 15, '09 by bdorsey30Hey,
I am currently in HCC's Pharm class. They have changed the process. You have to take the HESI first and then they will give you permission to take Pharm which is no longer offered online. This fall they only did one Pharm class. You have to pass the Pharm class and they give a math exam and you have to score a 90 or above. If not you do not pass the math test even though you may have an "A" in Pharm you have to take the class over. Upon completion of Pharm you now have to sit out an entire semester before preceding to the rest of the nursing program. So I am in Fall 09 Pharm class and I can't proceed until Fall 2010!!! I was so disappointed hearing this. This is something new as well. I am sure you will have no problems getting in. I just wanted you to know what to expect.
- 0Sep 16, '09 by Deyanna119bdorsey30,
Thanks for the info! I have been emailing the secretary, she is NO help!! That is a bit upsetting, b/c I really wanted to get in for fall 2010, but at least now I know. How hard is the pharm class? Do they offer it in the evening or in the summer? Did you take all the pre-req's before applying?
Good luck on getting into the program!! And thanks again for replying!
- 0Sep 18, '09 by Deyanna119I haven't applied to any nursing schools here. I am originally from Texas, and eager to get back...so I really didn't even consider applying here. I am now thinking of just applying to HCC's LVN program - I am pretty sure I'd be able to get in for fall 2010 - then do the LVN to ADN track later on. I have accumulated a large amount of student loans, and really need to get into a decent paying career!!
- 0Sep 20, '09 by pinkynbd_99Hey have you considered the other colleges near by, like the Lonestar colleges (north houston) or San Jacinto college (more south Houston)? If you are getting your BA then UT-houston has an acclerated BSN program for those who already have a degree already, it's hell from what I heard of, but you get your BSN in one year. Just FYI, one thing everyone can tell you is don't just apply to one nursing school apply to as many as you can.
- 0Sep 20, '09 by Deyanna119pinkynbd,
I just started looking into UT Houston's acc. bac. program...which I am really interested in now! What have you heard about it? I noticed that alot of it is online - kinda weird.
I will probably apply to all the ADN programs around the Houston area as well, and hopefully I'll get accepted to one
Are you currently in a program?
- 0Sep 20, '09 by pinkynbd_99Well that is true, I believe, about the Acclerated program @UThouston, that it's mostly all online. But I can imagine it's really hard!! I'm currently attending one of the Lonestar College Nursing program and I graduate in May. I really like it and it's been crazy! Right now it's crazy so I can't imagine how doing all this in one year can be!!
But yeah, just get informed about each program and what they require to what you have. Good Luck!
- 0Sep 30, '09 by RobinsonMPHHi.
I really want to get into Lonestar's ADN program. I have my bachelors in Kinesiology and have recently finished my MPH. Do you think they this will help me to get into the program? They listed english and math as a pre-req.... I went to a university which didnt have basics... Rice University, so have not taken those classes at the collegiate level ( I tested out of them). Do you know of any other students with similar backgrounds that may have been admitted?