Career Path - Need input from Nashville LPN/RN's
- 0Apr 28, '10 by Denise8899I am currently enrolled in the LPN program at TTCN (classes start Monday, May 3rd!!!). I know it's a year before I will be entering the job market, but I'm working on some career planning now, and would love your feedback.
My "plan" such that it is, currently looks like this:
* Attend TTCN full time, focus on grades, graduate and get licence April/May 2011
* Move quickly to the LPN to BSN accelerated program at (probably) MTSU - full time on campus
* Also work full time, hopefully in either a surgery center or hospice program. I'm very interested in working at the VA in Murfreesboro or at either St Thomas or Vanderbilt - concerned about getting a schedule in surgery or hospice that will allow me to attend school at the same time, though
* Once I earn my BSN, I'd like to go on and work on my Masters so I can teach nursing students once I feel I'm prepared and have some knowledge to share
I'm most concerned about that part "in the middle"... How have those of you who have done it been able to balance work and school if you're not working on a hospital floor or somewhere that has evening/weekend hours?
I look forward to hearing your feedback!
- 1,222 Visits
- 0May 2, '10 by MijourneyBest wishes on your career path, Denise. Looks like you've got a good plan so far, but make sure that you have a plan b. If you have a family that includes kids, I feel it will be very hard to work full time and go to school full time without a supportive spouse and/or parents, etc. I suggest considering going to school part time, if possible. Also, work on getting in the VA now, if that is what you want. I have had friends go through a lengthy process to get into the VA-months and months. As I understand it, once you have worked for the VA awhile, they will provide tuition support to you for nursing school.
- 0May 2, '10 by Denise8899Thanks very much for your reply. :-)
I do worry about doing both school and work full time, but the program I want to attend at MTSU is a full time program. I have kids, but they are only with me a few days a month (they're older, I don't have small children at home). I would possibly have the opportunity to only work part time and may factor that into my plan.
I do appreciate the info on the VA. I'll go ahead and start networking with the nurse recruiter on the Murfreesboro VA campus to get that process started. That's a huge help, thanks!