Murray State University CRNA - Master's or Doctorate?
- 0Oct 29, '12 by icu-ickyouHey everyone! I have applied to Murray State University's CRNA Program for start in the fall of 2013. Anyone else? My question is if anyone has heard whether or not the program has been granted COA approval for the doctorate program. I have looked on the COA website and it states that the decision was to be made in October 2012. That has came and has almost passed. Anyway, I would just like to see who all has applied and what your thoughts are on the Master's to Doctorate switch.
- 0Dec 31, '12 by GunthorQuote from icu-ickyouI have applied to Murray State and been granted an interview on the 11th and 12th of January, 2013. I'm under the understanding that the program will remain a Master's program which I am personally fine with. IMHO, the switch to graduating with a Doctorate is not essential at this point in time if one considers the role, the added time of schooling, the added cost and the lack of opportunity time for earning. I believe as the role evolves and finds it's place, clinically and politically within the OR, I will be happy to go back an additional year toobtain my Doctorate. I positive there will be many more online programs and flexible work/study oportunities in the near future.Hey everyone! I have applied to Murray State University's CRNA Program for start in the fall of 2013. Anyone else? My question is if anyone has heard whether or not the program has been granted COA approval for the doctorate program. I have looked on the COA website and it states that the decision was to be made in October 2012. That has came and has almost passed. Anyway, I would just like to see who all has applied and what your thoughts are on the Master's to Doctorate switch.
I hope you were granted an interview. Now, if you or anyone could give me any pointers on what to expect, I would appreciate it. I've had a couple of interviews at other programs, one was intense, one was so layed back, I forgot it was an interview. I'm curious to know if the interview will be more clinical in nature or more of a personal get to know you type of interview.
Best of Luck..
- 0Dec 31, '12 by icu-ickyouNo Gunthor... Yes I was granted an interview. However my interview is in Morehead, KY (the site for which I applied) and my interview is this coming Saturday (1/5/12). I appreciate your comments regarding the doctorate versus masters program. As far as what the interview will be like I haven't heard either. I would be glad to give you some insight after my interview, but I do wish I had a heads up. I suppose either way, we should all be prepared. I'm excited and will let you know how it goes.
- 0Jan 2, '13 by GunthorHa!..Don't worry, I'll be the last to pull the grammar nazzi on you. I went back and read my original response to your question and I"m positive my 8 year old nephew could have done better.
Congratulations on your interview, I'm sure you will do excellent. Don't hold me to it, but a fellow that works at my hospital told me his friend attended a few years ago and had mentioned to him that the interview was more personal and laid back. Hopefully, that's still the case, but who knows. Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I know you're nervous and excited, if I come across any other useful information for you before the 5th I will let you know asap.
Are you from that area? I will be driving 8 hours from southwest Georgia for my interview. I live in a very rural area and that's why I applied to Murray State. They focus on clincal practice in rural hospitals, at least that's what I believe to be correct. Anyway, good luck again, and hopefully the God's will smile on us both and we will be attending in August.
- 0Jan 4, '13 by jmac84Hello there!
I also have an interview coming up at the Madisonville site the 11th and 12th of January! I honestly have no idea what to expect! Other programs have sent me a sort of study guide/ prep sheet for their interviews, but Murray State has kept it very simple. Any information you all have to share about how to go about preparing would be great! For now I've just been reviewing rhythms, drips, acls protocols, swanz catheters, ABGs, etc.... GOOD LUCK!
- 0Jan 7, '13 by icu-ickyouHey Gunthor. I tried posting a couple of days ago. Not so sure what went wrong. I had the interview and I should find out in a couple of days. I'm hopeful for Thursday at the latest. So here's how it went:Arrive, sign in and orientation to the program. This was a PowerPoint presentation for everyone. It included financial information and information regarding the curriculum and what was required as far as traveling. It was a little intimidating to seay the least. Lol. Before the PowerPoint we all lined up (16 of us at Morehead) and drew times for our interviews. We were split up into either the morning or afternoon group. We were also instructed at this time that according to your interview time you would need to complete an impromptu 20 minute 1 page essay and a tour of the facility during the opposite section of time. So for me, my interview was in the afternoon. so that morning I did the essay and the tour. We were escorted through the facility by current students who answered any and all questions we had. They were awesome! So we had lunch and then came the interview.... Now I have beaten myself up over this, and now I am 100% certain that there's no way this is a good sign but my interview lasted LITERALLY less than 5 minutes. No clinical questions. Only get to know you type questions that were not difficult to answer. Other people's interviews were 15-20 minutes but mine... Nope. 5 minutes. I have devoured googles web search to see how bad that really is. Lol. Then that was it. I left very disheartened. But as I said, I will find out at least by the end of this week and I'll let you know. Hope this helps!!
- 0Jan 7, '13 by GunthorDon't beat yourself up..I'm sure you did great. I was accepted to a school a few weeks ago and my interview only lasted 5-7 minutes. I felt the same way but you probably answered there questions well enough that they felt no need to further "investigate"....I will keep my fingers crossed for you, I'm sure you will get in. I'm positive.
My new dillemma....My interview for Murray State is the 12th and the school I mentioned above will not extend my placement confirmation and deposit past the 11th...ahhhhhhhh!!!!! I like the school a lot and there are many positives to the program but I wanted to keep my options open because I really thought Murray State might be great...but now I'm in a pickle, I really thought I would have longer to decide. I take the risk of traveling way out of state and not being accepted (i'm sure they give preference to in state applicants first, most schools do) and then losing my spot at the other program....GAaaaahh! The stress. I guess it could be worse...hahaha
I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow..Anyhow, thanks for the information, you are very kind, and I wish you the best of luck,,,don't worry yourself sick,,,You've got this!