Anyone studying for the PMHNP exam?Register Today!
- by Chaoticdreams33 Apr 25HI there! I just finished up my course work and will be graduating in a couple of weeks. I have started studying for the board exam and I am using the ANCC book and I also bought the Fitzgerald's program including the book and the CDs. I am listening to the CDs in my car and also studying with the books 2-3 hours a day and plan to take the exam ASAP. What are you using to study? And how prepared/un-prepared do you feel to take the board exam? What is your study plan? Also, have you started interviewing for jobs?
- Apr 30 by MookieBSNRNI am also graduating in a couple of weeks and have been using the ANCC review book and Barkley's review book and CDs. I also use various psychiatry test question books to see how I'm doing. Barkley is supposed to have a test bank available any day now with 100 questions for $24.95. I also want to take my exam as soon as possible and feel that I will be ready by the end of May.
- Apr 30 by Chaoticdreams33Hi MookieBSNRN! Congrats on your graduation. I have been waiting for the Barkley DRT practice tests for months! I hope they come out soon, I feel like I am ready to take a practice test and see how I am doing and where to focus the rest of my studying on. How are you liking the Barkley review? I think Fitzgeralds is ok so far, but the CDs are not as detailed in some areas as I would like, and too detailed in areas that I don't need!
- May 1 by MookieBSNRNChaoticdreams33 congrats to you as well!! I spoke with someone at Barkley a week ago and they said the DRTs would be available within a week or so. I've been checking daily, but nothing so far. Barkley review is pretty good, I feel most of the review courses cover the same information in different formats. Some of my classmates have Fitzgerald and the review book is very similar to Barkley. Have you taken the test questions ANCC offers on their website for $99?
- May 1 by Chaoticdreams33I agree, even the ancc book and fitzgeralds have essentially the same info in them, just organized a little differently. I did do the ancc questions on their site a few months ago before I really even started to study and I didn't feel that they were too difficult. I printed them all out and I plan to do them all next weekend and see where I am at now after all my studying. Have you tried them? I am the only psych NP student graduating next week, all the rest are done in Aug so I don't have anyone to talk to that is studying right now, so thank you!
- May 2 by MookieBSNRNChaoticdreams33 I sent you a PM and the Barkley DRTs are finally available.
- May 2 by megank5183Hi Guys,
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I am more in my first year of a PMHNP program. I hear such different things from people about the job market. Curious about your experiences thus far job hunting? Congrats on graduation!!
- May 3 by Chaoticdreams33Thanks Mookiebsnrn! I took the first one last night and there were some things on there that I honestly never heard of! I copy and pasted everything I got wrong so I can study it more. Now I know where to focus so that's good.
Megank5183 no problem, Ask whatever you'd like! I think the job market widely fluctuates depending on where you're looking/living. I have applied to jobs in CT and MA. I applied for 4 jobs so far and got called back and have interviewed or have set up interviews with 3. One offered me a job and I declined because the supervision was not enough for my comfort. The Salary around here is about 85-100k for full time new grad psych NPs. And there are several other job postings on my list that I want to apply for, but I am waiting until after I pass my boards hope that helps!
- May 3 by MookieBSNRNChaoticdreams33 I also took it last night and it did give me some things to focus my studies on. My test is adult so some of the kiddie questions, I just went with gut instinct..lol.
Megank5183 I haven't applied for any jobs yet but I think it really just depends on your area how the job market is. You can do searches on indeed to see what the job openings in your area look like.
- May 3 by megank5183Thanks, guys! It seems that a lot of jobs are out west or in the northeast. I am so jealous that you guys are done It's nice to hear about the pay range you are being offered....thanks for the advice. I'm sure you guys are going to do fine on the exam. How long ago did you guys graduate? I heard from FNP friends that it takes a good amount of time aftern graduation to get all the paperwork sent in to be able to sit for the test....keep me updated on how the test goes....BOL!!