ANCC NP certification exam study tips - Page 2Register Today!
- Jul 16, '11 by linearthinkerI took and passed them both and I think they seemed essentially the same. There were some questions on both that stumped me, across categories, but not a lot. The only major difference that stood out to me was that ANCC did not provide normal lab values and the Academy did. They were not really that helpful in context b/c the ANCC provided plenty of other information in the question that would clue you in even if you didn't know the lab values.
I attended a review course and used a book, and reread chunks of assessment text from school, reviewed developmental milestones/psychosocial stages, etc. I studied by system for the month prior, up until the week just before, during which time I did not study at all. I took the final week off and just relaxed. I don't believe in cramming, lol.
My review book's recommendation was to keep taking the practice tests until 80-85% proficient.
I'm a good test taker, but not everyone is. I was so surprised when a physician preceptor I really admired and respected told me he failed his Family Practice Boards the first time! The test doesn't define us! Study, do your best, and if at first you don't succeed... Good luck.
- Jul 19, '11 by Marion411How long ago did you take the ANCC certification? I am using the Leik book and Fitzgerald's CD's and book to prepare. Do you have any other suggestions. I am hoping to sit for the cert. next month.
I am reviewing text and practice questions daily.
- Jul 20, '11 by olissimaHi mariefrn,
I am taking the ANCC next week. I agree that it would b a good idea to do the ANCC practise questions.
For some reason I cannot figure out how to buy them on the ANCC website!?!! Is it a class online that contains the questions?
- Jul 21, '11 by Marion411Look at the ANCC site under ANCC Online Course catalog. You can pick out certification questions- cost $99.- for a 90 day access.
What are you using to study? Anything specific you could recommend? I appreciate all the input. How long did it take you to receive permission to set up a test date?
Good Luck next week!
- Jul 22, '11 by olissimaThanks Marion411!
I went to Fitzerald review class - highly recommend it - excellent review!
I also do the tests from Leik's text.
I am scheduled for the test for July 26th. - will post after it!
- Jul 27, '11 by SUAPNI2010Just FYI, I just re-listened to one of my Fitzgerald CDs and she said, "You need to get roughly 2/3 of the questions correct to pass." That's 66%, give or take.
- Jul 30, '11 by cniro7PMHNP-BCAs I just passed the ANCC for Adult PMHNP, I would suggest purchasing their practice questions online, using Barkley review and also the ANCC review book. As a side note, I am selling my 2011, Barkley PMHNP review guide w/CD's. If anyone is interested please PM me.
Thanks & Good luck to everyone!