What's your best 'Nurse Hack'?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I'm a soon-to-be new grad RN (only 29 days!! woo-hoo!) and I am curious to know from the seasoned working nurses: What is your best 'nursing hack' or advice for a baby nurses like me?

I prefer to deescalate situations rather than press assault charges. (Not all of my coworkers agree)

I believe that deescalation is a skill worth developing. Personally, I've benefits from classes based on CPI. Check out what's in your area.

Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI Training) | CPI

I also carry license insurance through NSO (though I've never needed to make a claim, so can't vouch for them one way or the other). Things can go wrong even if you have done everything right. http://www.nso.com

Specializes in Med nurse in med-surg., float, HH, and PDN.
Put a brief over the bedpan before putting it under your patient. Softer, no splashing, easier clean up. Less risk for skin breakdown on the little ones that take forever to go. (If you don't need to get a sample or accurate I/Os)

Your other hacks were great, too, but THIS one is BRILLIANT! If I only knew this back then . . . WOW!

Adding two of my own:

Newborn-size disposable diapers are really good for draining heel wounds, because they are form-fitting and very absorbent.

Superglue works well for keeping paper-cuts clean et al., per my dentist. "A little dab'll do ya!"

My best tip isn't a hack, just advice. If you are surrounded by ancillary staff that are spending most of their time on Face book or internet shopping, say something politely before you become so angry at their behavior that you snap, and say things you will regret as a professional later on.

Specializes in Med Surg Tele.

I'm always the dumbest person in the room. CNAs, patients, doctors, they are all smarter and more professional than I am. I am always there to learn from others. I let other people talk and I always defer to their opinions.

This attitude does wonders for me.

What do I actually have to prove anyway?

+ Add a Comment