GCC Glendale Community College winter/spring 2018

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

Good morning,

My name is Richard and I applied to GCC for the winter/spring 2018 semester and wanted to start and topic for everyone to discuss.

Hi everyone! Congrats to all those that got accepted and to those that didn't there is still time! People drop last minute or change their minds and they accept people all the way up until the day classes start! We are about to wrap up our first semester and boy was it CRAZY! Please feel free to message me or ask me any questions you may have. Also, it is incredibly helpful to put together a private Facebook page with all of your classmates. That way you don't miss any information, due dates, assignments, etc. We have a couple of 2nd & 3rd semester students in our Facebook page to answer any questions we may have. Can't wait to meet you all!!!

I was wondering how expensive the books are for the first semester, I'm trying to budget myself as much as possible before I start. What can someone expect their first semester of nursing and or the first intersession. I will start winter session this January and still working full time until I start full time nursing school either in the Spring or Fall. What would you suggest to do to prepare before your first semester begins?

I was wondering how expensive the books are for the first semester, I'm trying to budget myself as much as possible before I start. What can someone expect their first semester of nursing and or the first intersession. I will start winter session this January and still working full time until I start full time nursing school either in the Spring or Fall. What would you suggest to do to prepare before your first semester begins?

Good question! Well, if you are able to get any aid or qualify for the BOG waiver, that is a TREMENDOUS help. Unfortunately, they go off of your taxes from two years prior and my husband happened to do well that year, so I didn't qualify for any assistance. SO, to answer your question, books are pretty expensive. Your professor will explain the book situation the first day of class. I WOULD NOT recommend buying the books ahead of time or separate. The book company has a deal with the school to sell them cheaper as a bundle. The first set of books you will need in the winter cost about $300. Then when you start your first semester, they cost about $650. The good this is that these book will then last you the ENTIRE program (all 4 semesters). Also included are the books in online form AND a bunch of supplemental information and questions. SO WORTH IT! So although it seems like a big chunk of change all at once, they do last you the entire program and you will not need to buy other books.

As far as working goes, it is fine during the intersession (winter), but once first semester comes around, it is near IMPOSSIBLE to work. I think there are 3 or 4 people in our program that work part-time or less. The amount of time you spend studying, reading, doing assignments, writing papers, and 20 page care plans, is pretty insane.

My advice is to read, read, read!!! Do as many problems as you can (back of the book, online, quizlets), buy an organizer and really stick to it because due dates come up quick, and there are SO many things to keep in order. Also, you are required to do 12 hours of community service with the elderly. I recommend getting that out of the way ASAP! Also, as soon as you get an assignment or paper topic, GET IT DONE! This is not the place to wait last minute to do things.

Also, most importantly, it is VERY important to have YOU time. Take a few hours or a day to do something you enjoy.... Nursing school is incredibly stressful and hard, so you need mental breaks to regroup and let go of the stress. :)

Thank you sooo much for this information it is beyond helpful in preparing for this new journey. I can't wait to start. :) So excited and nervous.

If any of you are interested and want to get a head start in reading, I can send you the PowerPoints you will be using for the Winter Session. Send me a message and I can email them to you!

If any of you are interested and want to get a head start in reading, I can send you the PowerPoints you will be using for the Winter Session. Send me a message and I can email them to you!

I would love the power points thank you so much. My email is [email protected].

Thank you so much! You've been so helpful

Hi just wondering how you applied to the university while applying to the bridge Rn program. Just a little background on me is i applied for gcc. Rn bridge program this year, so far I got an invite to take the tease. Idk if I should apply to scula or not please help. Thanks

Good evening,

I did not apply to a university while in the program. The bridge program is very robust and will keep you busy. I had a full course load for winter, spring, and fall. Summer had a small break but I would say focus on the program and do BSN or MSN Afterwards.

Thanks for the reply!!! It helps a lot!!!

It says on the paperwork to NOT give money to the facility when you go. After you pay online, that is it.

When is your guys orientation? Mine is Dec 6th..but I'm in the LVN-RN bridge...but my friend whose in the standard 2 yr program, his orientation date is different. Wondering how many orientation dates there are. Hmm

Hi this might be a old post. But i was wondering how the LVN-RN class in GCC is. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. I wanted to private message you , but since i'm a new member i dont have that privilege yet

Hello, would you be able to send me the powerpoints for the Winter Intersession please? [email protected]

+ Add a Comment