Certification...What's the difference?

  1. I'm confused. Can anyone tell me the differences between the National School Nurse Certification and a type 73 school nurse certification?
  2. Visit cowgirlBSN profile page

    About cowgirlBSN

    Joined: Nov '08; Posts: 98; Likes: 22


  3. by   bergren
    National certification is through the National Board for the Certification of School Nurses: www.nbcsn.org
    You must be bachelors prepared and pass a 250 question test. School Nurse experience is recommended.

    Type 73 Certification is one of the many state certifications for Illinois School Personal Services Certification. The following is required: bachelors with specific nursing courses, 3 or 4 graduate courses, one of which is an internship, and passing two exams: a basic reading writing and math exam and a school nurse content exam. In Illinois, the school nurse title is protected, and only nurses who are certified are allowed to use the title "school nurse". School Nurses are also eligible to earn a Type 75 certificate needed to supervise. http://www.isbe.state.il.us/certific..._personnel.htm

    There are 4 Type 73 programs in the state: UIC (all online), National Louis University, SIU, and Milliken.

    About 100 school nurses in Illinois hold both the state and national certification.
  4. by   cowgirlBSN
    My school does not require me to have either, but I would like to be certified. Which route would you recommend I take? I am already a bachelor's prepaired nurse and worked in a school system for 3 years. Thanks so much for your help!
  5. by   bergren
    I would check the websites of those unversities for their programs. I used to teach in the UIC online program which is 10 graduate credits. I think it is excellent, but if you prefer face to face SIU and NLU are both good. Milliken has a low enrollment in the school nurse program, so the classes are sporadic and small.


    Applications are due very soon for both summer and fall