Career opportunities for an RN/MPH - other than PHN?Register Today!
- by troop949 Mar 5, '12Hello everyone,
I have an MPH (in infectious disease epi; BS in microbiology) and am currently hoping to get into an accelerated BSN program. My past work experience in PH has been primarily in chronic disease surveillance, at the state government level; I also have a couple years experience as an infectious disease epi at CDC. Through my state PH work, I'm familiar with the role of PHN, but I'm wondering: what else is out there for an RN with an MPH degree? I have a strong interest in community health and prevention, and I'm trying to get an idea of what specialties to explore (assuming I'm accepted into the ABSN program, ha!).
Any school nurses out there? Infection control? Anyone employed by an insurance company/hospital to do work site wellness activities? What's it like out there for an RN/MPH? I know PH jobs are hard to find these days, as gov't funding dries up, but I'm hoping that will change in the near future as the healthcare system focuses more on disease prevention.
Thanks for any and all input!
- Mar 9, '12 by troop949Bump....anyone? Anyone? Bueller.....Bueller...?
- Mar 20, '12 by Jess793BI'm wondering the same thing too, Troop949!
- Aug 8 by souraprilJust wondering if you are in a nursing program or graduated and have a job... I know some people with a BSN and MPH got hired to do infection control, nurse epidemiologist, and research in both hospitals and local health department.
- Aug 8 by troop949Hi sourapril! I just messaged you back, BTW.
I'm now entering my final semester of my accelerated BSN program. Just starting out job hunting. I would love to have something lined up before graduation in December! I've seen a few public health nurse positions in my area (county health depts.), so that may be an option. I've also seen some infection control jobs, but they require certification. My dilemma would be that "1 year of experience" most positions seem to call for. I'd rather jump right into a public health/research nurse position right out of school, but that may or may not happen. I have the opportunity to network with some people over the next two weeks who can better answer that question for me. I'm also looking into hospital RN positions for new grads.
- Aug 8 by kloneDo you like maternal/child health? I would look into Nurse-Family Partnership (that's my dream job, except that the pay is so poor).