Any great psych jobs out there?Register Today!
- by travel2lv Dec 29, '02I thought it would be interesting to know what you guys think of your jobs in the wild world of psych. How about posting some great and not so great comments on what it is like in your neck of the woods. I'll start first by saying I work now in a state hosp. in Hi. and really enjoy it for the most part, the most frustrating thing is floating. If you don't know the pts and staff they are not going to be so trustful, respectful as your own unit and that can be nervewracking to say the least. What gets me through is being as helpful as I can and most of all follow the rules of that unit as in my experience every one is different. Go with the flow. :spin: :spin:
- 1,040 Views
- Dec 29, '02 by sjoeIf you work at Hawaii State Hospital and actually ENJOY that stunningly dysfunctional, dangerous, and non-accredited institution, then you would probably do ok at nearly any US mental facility.
- Dec 29, '02 by travel2lvThanks for the response, and it isn't by far the worst job I've had since coming to the states to work so I guess it is a reflection on what can be out there. This place is like Mr. Roger's neighbourhood compared to when I worked in Me. Travel2lv
P.S. I guess you have worked here too?
- Dec 30, '02 by sjoe"This place is like Mr. Roger's neighbourhood compared to when I worked in Me. Travel2lv"
Well, all I can say to that is WHEW! You've got a lot more patience than I have, and I certainly hope you find some place you really like.
You might want to keep your eyes open for corrections jobs, as well, as they tend to be MUCH safer than psych and, IMHO, better budgets, better facilities, better healthcare in general. And about 1/6 of the inmates are actually psych patients who happen to be locked up, so you don't lose your psych skills.
(Yes, I worked per diem as a charge nurse at HSH in 1993. Later did 4 years in corrections.)
- Dec 30, '02 by travel2lvThanks for the advice, yeh I'd like to get a corrections contract but I hear they're scarce. HSH is now under the D.O.J and they did a staff overhaul a year or two ago because of some thing I can't say here but you can imagine, ha. It was needed in my opinion. Anyway because of the D.O.J. they have had to increase the staff. Also JACHO are just finishing up an inspection so who knows. Any advice on corrections jobs will be appreciated.