new pdn jobRegister Today!
- by shortscrubbs108 Feb 28, '11Hello all,
I just accepted a job doing private duty nursing. I'm really excited and can't wait to start! I have worked with peds in the hospital as a CNA, but now as an LPN, I'll mostly be working with special needs kids. Does anyone have any tips about connecting with them? Or tips in general. I am only going to work prn weekends so I'm afraid they won't get comfortable with me.
I am so excited and really want to be an awesome nnurse to these guys!
- 818 Views
- Mar 2, '11 by lulu997RNjust ask family what works for the patient and what you should avoid. Also read up about the diagnosis and the behavior associated with it, and just be your self.
- Mar 2, '11 by shortscrubbs108Thanks lulu, hopefully I can get to know mom and dad well so I can follow their leads. I've tried to brush up on a few things like CP and CF. Really excited for orientation tomorrow so I can get started. ;-)
- Mar 9, '11 by liveyourlife747hope things are going well with the new job! the advice i can offer is to do things age appropriate for the child, know what he/she likes to do/play/watch. you definitly have to be yourself, and open up to them, feel them out. their age and cognitive ability make a huge difference in how you act around a child. i act silly and goofy around the toddlers to keep them entertained, but i give the teens space and allow them to talk when they want to talk, if that makes sense. hope you are connecting with them already!
- Mar 10, '11 by shortscrubbs108Thanks! I started Sunday, and it went so well! The nurse and dad filled me in on tv and books he likes. I love it.