pre-nursing student w/ A.D.D.

  1. I'm very nervous about starting a&p 1 knowing that I have A.D.D. and no insurance to get my meds. I hope that what I hear about fish oil supplements really help me.
  2. Visit cee cee g profile page

    About cee cee g, CNA

    Joined: Jun '12; Posts: 106; Likes: 70


  3. by   Zweiells
    I am also a pre-nursing student who has struggled with (mild-moderate) ADD issues. I'll be going back for a second degree, as I already have a Bachelor's degree. For my first degree, I was on medication for ADD which was a big help. This time around, however, I am not taking anything due to headaches I started to get from any and all ADD medications! I was able to do A&P I and II and now Microbiology (among other general courses) and get good grades. I just had to realize that it is not realistic for me to be able to get work done in the amount of time it takes other students. I have to be patient with myself and make sure I allot enough time for each reading assignment, etc. I've noticed that I have gotten better on my own with concentration (mainly from practice and knowing how to avoid my biggest distractions).

    Not sure about the fish oil supplements, but I hope you find something whether it be a supplement, a technique, or extra time that will help you through your pre-reqs!
  4. by   PNicholas
    Check with student services at your school because mine actually pays for you to see a psychiatrist and to be tested for learning disorders. My ADHD meds are only $23/ month and the school pays for my visits. They can also sign you up for special testing (extended times, private testing rooms etc). I haven't had to use the special testing as long as I take my meds and they REALLY help! I don't zone out during lecture which is a huge plus!
  5. by   Double-Helix
    If you have a diagnosed learning disability then your college is required to provide reasonable accommodation for you. If you have ADD, this can mean providing a separate room for you to take your tests, giving you extra time, etc. Read your student handbook, though, because in order to receive these accommodations you have to disclose your disability with proof from your doctor.

    You can also look into the free/reduced cost services offered by your school. Many universities have counseling services and health clinics where you can get free or low cost care. They may also be able to recommend community resources that can help you.
  6. by   JustBeachyNurse
    I'm sorry for your troubles but you really need to contact your primary care physician/treating physician to discuss your treatment options. Make certain to inform them that you cannot afford the prescribed medication. As per the terms of service of this site that we all agreed to when we signed up,
    Medical Advice: ALLNURSES.COM, INC or it's members do not offer medical advice. Any requests for such will be taken down. If you have a medical problem, please seek attention from your health care provider. You are not allowed to ask for medical advice related to a health situation that affects you, a family member, or someone you know.
    Terms of Service for Nurses | Nursing Students

    Best of luck in your future endeavors.