Summer Entry 2013 Accelerated BSN/MSN Johns HopkinsRegister Today!
- by nautica193 Dec 5, '12Hi everyone,
How many of you have applied for the 2013 Accelerated BSN/MSN program at JHU SON? I applied early decision and completed my phone interview on the 26th. They said they will start making decisions calls around the December 15th which is a Saturday so I'm sure we won't hear anything until the 17th or later.
Is anyone else as anxious as I am to hear back from them? I even made a vision board on my fridge that reads: I WILL GET ACCEPTED INTO THE JOHNS HOPKINS BSN/MSN PROGRAM STARTING SUMMER 2013. Positive thoughts work, right?
FYI: I also applied to Columbia, Ohio State, and UCLA.
- 66,678 Views
- Dec 5, '12 by dee73Hi nautica! I'm so happy you created this discussion thread! I'm surprised there isn't one already. I applied for summer entry also, but I applied for regular decision. Have you done your interview already? What was it like?
- Dec 5, '12 by bardoneI'm also an applicant for the summer 2013 start date! I'm actually doing my interview in person next Monday (I'm going to be on the east coast for my Penn interview this Friday, so I thought I'd just take the train down).
For those who have interviewed, what was that like? I'm curious to hear what they asked you!
- Dec 5, '12 by bardonedee73, sounds like we are doing the same thing in reverse! And yes, please let me know how the JH interview goes -- good luck!!
- Dec 5, '12 by nautica193Hi bardone and dee73!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was looking for an established thread to post comments. I have been stalking this site for the past week to see if anyone else had the 2013 grad school jitters, but I guess we are the only ones!
I had my phone interview last week and it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. My interviewer made sure I was relaxed before starting the official interview portion of the call. I told her I was nervous so she advised me to pretend she was an old friend calling to ask questions about my future goals and aspirations. She asked the basic interview questions: Why MSN? Why JHU? What do you plan to accomplish with MSN? What are my hobbies and volunteer experience? I was asked to rate myself on a scale of 1-10 on certain skills, such as writing, public speaking, etc..(after I answered the question, I asked for the "correct" answer to that question and she said they are looking for confidence AND honesty. I took that to mean people should not score themselves too low or high)
She also asked me to explain the difference between an NP and Clinical Nurse Specialist and asked me to give examples. She ended by asking if there was anything else I wanted to share with the admissions review committee and I used that opportunity to highlight key points on my resume and mentioned a few big quality improvement projects I had worked on in my hospital. I asked her about the Community Outreach Program and International travel experiences which are both things I wish to pursue once accepted into the program.
In the middle of the interview, my cat attacked my dog and all you could hear was my poor dog whimpering and carrying on in the background. Luckily, my interviewer also has a cat and empathized with my situation. It was still pretty embarrassing I mean really, of all times?! LOL
I spent the next few days in the "shoulda/woulda/coulda" stage, and now I am at peace and anxiously waiting to receive my acceptance call. She said she would start making calls around mid-December so I am expecting an early Christmas gift.
- Dec 5, '12 by HealthEnthusiastI'm applying for summer entry ABSN-only, regular decision. I can only go to JHU in the case of a financial aid miracle, but I'm still so nervous/excited about admissions. I'm not sure whether ABSN-only applicants have to do an interview too. Do you all know? :/ I'd prefer not to, since my nerves could betray me.
BTW, has anyone else been impacted by the slower-than-usual processing of application materials? Maybe it only affects those who applied using the older system and had to send our essays and resumes seperately from the app. I'm starting to worry after getting an email yesterday saying some docs that I emailed in mid-November are still missing from my file. It's so hard to know when to relax and trust the process and when to follow up to make sure something didn't get lost down the internet tubes.
- Dec 7, '12 by nautica193How was everyone's interviews?
- Dec 7, '12 by nautica193Hi HealthEnthusiast!
I think interviews are required only for those applying to the MSN/DNP/PHD program.
They processed my application materials pretty quickly. I submitted my transcripts and recommendation letters in person. I submitted my application/essays online and within a few days they sent an email for me to schedule an interview. I think it's ok to confirm whether they have received your documents, especially if it's close to the deadline.
Did you resubmit the missing paperwork?
- Dec 7, '12 by HealthEnthusiastHi! I did end up calling to play it safe. The woman I spoke with was super nice and said that the delay in matching the documents to my file has to do with the recent change in the computer system. All should be well within a few days. (Then hopefully I'll learn how to relax and wait patiently for that letter to come...)
I hope your interview went well, dee73! And good luck on yours, bardone!