I have found my self in an interesting predicament and I need some advice. I graduated from my BSN program in December 2010. Prior to graduation I was concerned about the job market so I hedged my bets a little by applying to graduate programs in Nurse Midwifery at the same time. I am very passionate about nurse midwifery and I know that it is the professional path that I will eventually take. Upon graduation I was fortunate to obtain a position as an RN on a maternal-child unit.
Now I come to my predicament - I found out from Yale School of Nursing that I obtained admission to their master's program in nurse midwifery.
I am not one to go back on my commitments to employers
- but nurse midwifery is my dream. I do not know if I should decline my acceptance to Yale and complete my first year as a nurse and apply to programs next year or if I should just quit my job early and go for it. I feel as if I have two excellent opportunities in front of me and I'm just not sure what is the best decision professionally. Are there any CNMs out there that have an opinion about prior nursing experience with a CNM degree, about Yale's program, or about the situation in general? I'd love any advice the allnurses.com community can offer!
I would absolutely go, no questions asked. If your ultimate goal is to be a midwife, why wait to get there? I've known too many people who have put off furthering their education only to get mired by other aspects of their life and they end up never reaching their goal. Plus, given how crazy competitive things have gotten, just because you got in this year doesn't necessarily mean you'll get in next time around, unfortunately. :-/
Good luck making your decision!
Last edit by myelin on Sep 4, '11