EL-MSN at Charles Drew University, Los AngelesRegister Today!
- by Psych_to_Nurse Aug 17, '10I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the new entry level MSN program at Charles Drew University of Medicine & Science in Los Angeles. I've done searches on all nurses but haven't come up with anything. I know the requirements for admission and such, but I'm more curious about the quality of the program/university. I'm considering applying for fall 2011, so any infomation, good or bad, would be helpful.
- Aug 25, '10 by vjmt_4The program is pretty new and they are only starting their first cohort of students this fall 2010 so I guess nobody really knows yet about this program. Do you know how long this program is?
- Aug 25, '10 by Psych_to_NurseThat makes sense. I guess I was hoping someone would at least have some info about the school itself, or maybe someone went to an info session.
The program is supposed to be 2 years.
- Aug 25, '10 by vjmt_4Oh wow, we just missed out on the deadline a couple months back, it looks good although it is almost close to $60K to graduate. My only concern about Charles Drew is that they seem very disorganized. I called them about the BS in DMS and they are pulling it out/closing it down. They also had to voluntarily withdraw their PA program and do not know yet when they can get it back. With all that stuff going on with their hospital, I also think they don't have the best reputation so I'd be wary about it. Try to attend their info session. I am actually thinking checking it out myself.
- Oct 30, '10 by ctm21I'm also curious about their program! Everytime I research the school, it seems to be sketchy. Does anyone know off the top of their heads if the ELMSN program is certified?
- Oct 30, '10 by luckystudentnurseRNQuote from ctm21They are a new program. There is nothing sketchy about them. I have paid for the application fee to start their Spring 2011 cohort. I take my GRE on Monday and will play the waiting game to see if I am accepted. I have a wonderful counselor who has been great.I'm also curious about their program! Everytime I research the school, it seems to be sketchy. Does anyone know off the top of their heads if the ELMSN program is certified?
- Oct 31, '10 by vjmt_4I agree. Charles Drew is a reputable school, their nursing program just happens to be new and we have yet to see graduates from their MELN program.
- Dec 19, '10 by PurpelleI am applying for the Fall 2011 cohort, I graduate with my BS in Biology this spring. I attended the information session earlier this year and I must say that the program is definitely state of the art. I graduated from drew highschool and had the opportunity to shadow doctors in the high schools hospital program so I am very knowledgeable about this school, the hospital (which I will work at when it re opens)and all of the obstacles that the school has faced. the first cohort started this fall so this program is really new.
during the info session we were informed that the university was getting rid of lower level classes, such as those that could be taken at the ug or jc level... They are revitalizing their entire programs of study to become more prestige, from what I understood. Anyway, the associate dean is Dr. Pamela Shiao, PhD, MSN, RN, FAAN. Shiao has a vast knowledge of clinical nursing practices and has been involved in helping various health care agencies to achieve magnet status. Dr. Gloria McNeal PhD, MSN, ACNS-BC, FAAN, is Dean of this program and together with Dr. Shiao (lol, Dr. Nurse) they have helped bring in millions of dollars in grants for students in this program. They plan on opening up a Doctorate program of nursing shortly... Hope that helped!
- Feb 9, '11 by layleebugHey I just wanted to know if anyone else here applied to C Drew or is going for the Fall 2011 cohort? It's a reallyyy convenient school for me to attend.. esp for nursing but Im just skeptical and down hearted by all the drama and bad reputation =( anyone else torn??? They seem like a decent school overall but there's just so much that went on I don't know if it's worth it for me to attend a school that make some people say "id stay away from a nurse that graduates at CD".....
- Feb 10, '11 by luckystudentnurseRNQuote from layleebugI would have to ask, what kind of "drama and bad reputation" are you referring to?Hey I just wanted to know if anyone else here applied to C Drew or is going for the Fall 2011 cohort? It's a reallyyy convenient school for me to attend.. esp for nursing but Im just skeptical and down hearted by all the drama and bad reputation =( anyone else torn??? They seem like a decent school overall but there's just so much that went on I don't know if it's worth it for me to attend a school that make some people say "id stay away from a nurse that graduates at CD".....
As a student of the program, I must say that you are totally off about the perception that you have heard about the school. I am extremely pleased of the decision I made to enroll in the program. The faculty and instructors are very warm and welcoming. Also, the instructors go above and beyond to help their students in understanding and utilizing the rigorous material that is being taught. Not to mention the classes and lab materials are brand pretty much the state of the art.
Also, there has been no nurses that have graduated from the program because the first cohort has just started fall 2010. The first graduating class is not until Spring of 2012. So, I am the least bit offended that people are saying "id stay away from a nurse that graduates at CD". Maybe a different program at Charles Drew has had issues, but the nursing program is one that I can confidently say does not. If you already have this negative preconceived notion on the institution, maybe it is in your best interest to not even waste your time applying and find another school that doesn't have "drama".