Jefferson 2012 APW Program - page 2
10,688 Views | 65 Comments
Has anyone else been accepted for Thomas Jefferson APW nursing program for Fall 2012? :)... Read More
- 0Mar 1, '12 by gglove317Hi All! I'm new to this thread but I just got an email from Niki Kelley today inviting me for an interview. Has anyone else been part of this later process? Also, I am in New England... can anyone tell me if the interviews are over the phone or in person? I have to interview sometime over the next 2 weeks so obviously have to make travel arrangements if it is in person. I also have a few prerequisites to finish up however which I plan on doing this summer. Any tips from anyone who has already interviewed would be greatly appreciated, and good luck to all of you!
- 0Mar 2, '12 by jocy_annelaurn109, I did actually e-mail Niki Kelley back on February 15th, and she never responded. I have the same concerns that you do. I feel like it can't be good news if I haven't heard from them about the interview yet, but I haven't been rejected yet either. I kind of want to call Niki Kelley to see if I can speak to her, but I also don't want to be a pain in the you-know-what because I feel like I pester the admissions office way too much. I just don't know how much longer I'll stay sane without having an answer!
- 0Mar 2, '12 by jocy_annegglove317, congrats on the interview invitation! I can only hope I'll get the same e-mail soon...anyway, I've read up on the FACT thread, and from what I understand, the interviews are in person. Depending on where you are in New England, it may be cheapest to take a train into Philly (30th Street Station). I, too, have 2 outstanding prerequisites - I'm in the middle of Gen Chem II right now, and then I'll have to take Microbiology over the summer. Good luck and keep us posted about your interview! I don't live in the city, but I live about 20 minutes outside of it (in NJ), so if you have any questions, let me know. The FACT thread was useful to read, but it would be great to get more people involved in the APW thread.
- 0Mar 2, '12 by gglove317Thanks Jocy! I actually spoke with Niki Kelley today about the interview and she said she'd be willing to do a phone interview. I don't know if that's good or bad... I told her I'd be happy to come down (I already searched flights and luckily my friend lives 10 blocks from Jeff!) but she said that the phone interview would be fine. It's next Friday so I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. However, I think I already screwed myself over by even asking if it was by phone or in person to begin with... I should have just said "okay, you tell me the day and I'll be there!" but it's hard when you've got a full time job and your employer has no idea you've applied to graduate school. ;-)
And as for microbio in the summer - you'll be fine! In my experience, the exams counted LOTS more than the labs, but the labs were what pushed me from a B+ to an A- because I was thorough and asked questions. As for Chem II - I have no help for you there! I took Biochem instead and I still actually have to take Chem I. I was trying to get as many prereqs in for multiple schools and figured if I heard from Jeff I'd take them both this summer (Chem I and nutrition). Money is tight! Good luck to you and I'll be in touch soon!
- 0Mar 3, '12 by jocy_annegglove, I think a phone interview is still ok! Someone on the FACT thread posted about how they had a last-minute, unscheduled phone interview with Niki Kelley, and they received an acceptance e-mail the same day. I met her at an information session back in August/September and she was very nice and extremely understanding. She knows that many (if not most) of the people applying to the program have full-time jobs. And since she knows you're not local, I'm sure she won't penalize you for doing a phone interview! I bet you'll get an acceptance e-mail the same day!
And thanks for the encouragement with Microbio! I've heard so many people in my classes talk about how hard it is, so I'm definitely nervous. I would hate to mess up my GPA, lol. Chem II isn't too bad so far. I have an excellent teacher and actually got a 115 on the first test, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to keep that trend going! I think you'll be good with Chem I, and Nutrition was pretty easy, but also a bit demanding since I took a condensed online class that went from 1/3 - 2/10. I agree, money is extremely tight right now! I just keep telling myself it will all be worth it in the end when I'm doing something I really want to do.
Good luck with the interview! I can't wait to hear that you've been accepted!
- 0Mar 5, '12 by PITTgalDon't worry about the interview with Niki.. She was very nice and it felt more like conversation then an interview process. She started off asking me questions about my grades and undergrad schooling. She then asked me questions like why I wanted to go into nursing? Even though I was very nervous for my interview, she was very easy to talk to which made it easier!
- 0Mar 5, '12 by jocy_anneThanks for the feedback about the interview process, PITTgal! I sent another e-mail to her today to let her know that I sent another updated transcript...I'm really hoping I'll get an interview invite soon and am trying not to give up hope. Hopefully we'll all be classmates in the Fall!
- 0Mar 5, '12 by gglove317Thanks to you both PITTgal and jocy_anne! I am putting together all my notes for the interview about why nursing and why Jeff and so on and so forth. My grades and GRE scores are certainly not the highest of the bunch, so I do hope that the other parts of my application show through.
PITTgal - did you hear anything post interview about acceptance or anything?
PS - I've totally been daydreaming lately about meeting all of you and finding a great apartment in Center City and getting started with classes... I need to STOP or I'm going to psych myself out for my interview!!!
Do any of you know what they received for applications and how many they accept? Not that I should even look at stats... gah... getting nervous!
- 0Mar 5, '12 by jocy_annegglove, I've been doing research about the application-to-acceptance ratio because I'm curious too, but I haven't been able to find anything so far. It's probably for the best, lol. I think they would look past grades and test scores, especially if you have unique work experience, etc. It's a very good sign that you got the interview invite! I think the most important thing you'll need to remember is to relax and breathe as you pick up that phone.
I've been daydreaming about the same thing! I just want this so badly and can't wait to walk to class on the city streets and meet you all. I really hope our daydreams become reality soon! But you're right, we should probably try to burst that little daydream bubble until we get past the interview process (can you tell I'm trying to will my interview into existence?).
Good luck, remember to breathe on Friday, and let us know if you need some more words of encouragement beforehand!