New Grad with PEDs interview!
- 0Oct 23, '12 by owlRN01After 6 months of applying I finally got my first call back from a hospital! Itís a local childrenís hospital and I would LOVE the opportunity to work there. Can anyone give me any insight on what kinds of questions I might be asked in the interview? The position is on the Progressive Care Unit and I know that I would learn so much! I have looked over the threads on here but have not found much advice.
What kinds of traits are nurse managers looking for in a Peds nurse? How often do new grads get a shot in Peds? Thanks in advance for any advice or encouragement! Wish me luck! I am going to be supper nervous because I want it so bad!
- 3Oct 25, '12 by simonemyheartExpress your passion for the job. Everyone says "I always wanted to work with kids" or any other generic answer, make yours stand out.........instead let them know you and your story. Let them see your heart and your passion to make a difference. Don't be typical, be you.
- 1Oct 25, '12 by itsnoworneverQuote from simonemyheartI absolutely LOVE this advice! They called you because they like what is on your resume, something stood out to them! Now show them how special you are!Express your passion for the job. Everyone says "I always wanted to work with kids" or any other generic answer, make yours stand out.........instead let them know you and your story. Let them see your heart and your passion to make a difference. Don't be typical, be you.
- 0Oct 25, '12 by owlRN01I agree that something stood out to them; I just wonder what it was? lol My mother in law keeps telling me it was a summer camp I volunteered for with chronic and critically ill children. I thought it was my most recent experience with pediatric home care until the nurse manager called me for an interview. She basically did an interview on the phone… asked me lots of questions like “Why nursing? Why Peds?” and towards the end she mentioned my time at Camp Boggy Creek. She has been to the camp and knows a lot about it. Suddenly I thought maybe that was what sparked her interest! I kind of want to ask her. Even if I don’t get picked for the position what an honor to be interviewed!!!! It would be nice to know what drew her to me
- 0Oct 29, '12 by owlRN01Just an update... I had my interview today and it went great! Now I am just waiting it out as they still have a couple more to do this week. The nurse manager said I should know by the end of the week if I got the position!!! I really, really hope so!
I also got a call from another unit at the same hospital and have an interview with them this Wednesday!! Things are looking up. So blessed to even have gotten the interviews. This job hunt has been brutal. Hopefully it is about to be over for a while.
- 6Oct 30, '12 by owlRN01I got the job!!!! I am so very happy! And of course I feel so lucky to have been chosen. The nurse manager said that they were still going to be interviewing people for the rest of the week... but they called me less than 24 hours later. They must have really liked me! Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice.