Oregon State Hospital, Salem - page 2
Hi, this is my first post, so hopefully I'm doing this right. I'm planning on moving to the Salem area this summer and would really like to get into the psych field of nursing. I'm currently a RN... Read More
Dec 10, '11 by SimplisticRnxHi Kerouac01. How are you liking the job at OSH? Any advice on what to expect on the interview? I have mine next week and would like to know how you prepare for it. Do I need to know certain meds?
Quote from kerouac01Hi, this is my first post, so hopefully I'm doing this right. I'm planning on moving to the Salem area this summer and would really like to get into the psych field of nursing. I'm currently a RN with a BSN and 3 years medsurg experience. I was just wondering if I could get some info regarding the state hospital there. I've read some pretty bad articles on the web in regards to the nurse/patient ratio, mandatory overtime, sick calls, and other things. Just wondering if any of this has changed with the plans of building the new hospital. As far as other questions...
1. Is the mandator overtime a common thing? I don't mind it once in awhile, but is it something that the nurses do on a weekly basis?
2. With the staffing and overtime being such an issue, is leave commonly denied?
3. What kind of training is offered to a RN with no psych experience? Is there some sort of preceptorship that lasts a few weeks?
4. How bad is the patient load? I even read an article that said it can be 18-42 when there are sick calls......42? is that a joke?
5. What kind of scheduling options are there? If I just want nights will I get it? Are the nurses typically full time on a specific unit, or do the continually rotate through gero, forensics, and adult?
Thanks guys. I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Maybe the psych forum would have been better.