Info on BCG Vaccine needed - Page 3Register Today!
- Nov 23, '08 by dianabayYes, it's true. Even when I did a search at the time, there seemed to be little consensus. If I took the time to do a literature search, I may find out what the best practice is now.... but that project will have to wait til I finish my latest BSN course!
- Jan 15, '09 by cessna823My first PPD was negative 3 months ago...now that I am hired, they gave me another PPD again. So they did. Then after 3 hours from the PPD, my arm was so red and it's bigger than a dime...and it's swelling..and itched, itched, itched, itched like CRAZY!!!! I had BCG in Philippines when I was 7 years old...during the processing of my paper, the US immigration gave me CXR and it was negative.
Is it Okay to tell the RN not to give me PPD because it gives me reaction??? by the way when they gave me the PPD my arm was so weak for a week and the red color takes 3 months to disappear...
- Jan 15, '09 by fcostaI found this info on the WHO website: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/1993/WHO...93.15_mod5.pdf
Most countries (except for the United States ofdata.
America and the Netherlands) recommend the use of
BCG. The schedule differs from country to country.
WHO recommends one dose at birth or at the first
contact of the infant with the health system. Other
countries use other schedules, the differences mostly
attributable to differing interpretations of the available
I believe if you contact the CDC they might be able to provide you with a list, or at least tell you who can. I am from Brazil, and we get one single dose of BCG right after birth. I believe they still give booster doses whenever there is a outbreak of tuberculosis . I have two kids that were born in Brazil, and they also received BCGs. My daughter always has positive PPDs because of that, and I had a pediatrician once that wanted to put her on INH without even asking for a X-ray...
I believe every Latin country must vaccinate people against TB and almost all Europe.
I hope this little info can help you. Good luck on your search.
- Jan 15, '09 by fcostaI believe this is a list of countries immunizing against TB: http://www.who.int/vaccines/globalsu...overagebcg.htm
- Jan 16, '09 by cessna823Hi diana,
I went back to the health department and they measured my PPD test and it was 9mm...and i told her about the reaction so she sent me to the radiology and had my CXR done..and i do not know yet the results...I do not have any syptoms of TB... I hope it's negative
- Jan 17, '09 by dianabayHi Cessna:
I can only speak to my own personal experience. When I was going through the US immigration processs in 1991, I too had a huge reaction to PPD, but CXR was clear.
I called several immigration Drs on the list and asked what they would do in the case of a + PPD but a negative CXR. One insisted that he would start INH; several others disagreed with treatment in the case of a negative CXR- I went with one of the Drs who recommended against treatment. That was 17 years ago, and I have been fine.
- Jan 17, '09 by cessna823I'll let you know the results. I can't wait for it
- Jan 17, '09 by dianabayTry not to worry, Cessna. I've had a few + PPD but negative CXR.
Even if it is the worst case scenario, these meds have been around for ages, so there are not a lot of unknowns (unlike many of the other meds out there today).
I'll be thinking about you....
- Jan 17, '09 by cessna823I am just worried because I'm scared if the hospital would kick me out if I have positive CXR. I have a son to raise.