What is a NST?Register Today!
- by Sezza83 Jan 19Hi guys. I'm a nurse/midwife in Australia I when reading post here I keep seeing "NST". What is a NST? In Australia NST means a new born screening test, which is the heel prick and the blood being blotched on to a card then getting sent away for genetic testing. But I don't think it's the same the USA.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=809595©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 998 Views
- Jan 19 by dah dohNon stress test... I had one 3 x/ week after 36 weeks.
- Jan 19 by Sezza83Ok, so external fetal monitoring? We call them CTG's cardiotocography or EFM's (electronic fetal monitoring).
Thanks for the clear up
- Jan 19 by JZ_RNNon stress test. Fetal monitoring for heart rate without the use of chemicals to induce contractions.
- Jan 19 by kloneThe opposite of an NST would be a contraction stress test, where low doses of pitocin are administered to induce a certain amount of contractions in a certain time period in order to see how the fetus tolerates it. This is sometimes done before an induction of labor.
- Jan 19 by Sezza83Thanks everyone.
We do non stress testing all the time here but I've never heard of a contraction stress test. We just start the inductions having done a base monitoring before hand. If once the induction has started with either synt (pit), cervidal or prostol and the trace has deteriorated we stop the induction and reassess. 9 out of 10 times the mother ends up having a csection.
I find it fascinating what other countries do.
- Jan 20 by kloneI usually see a contraction stress test before a cytotec induction. You cannot just stop an induction with cytotec the way you can with Pitocin or cervidil.
- Jan 20 by FyreflieQuote from kloneI had heard that this still happened in the US--yikes!! We only use Cytotec to induce losses here in Canada. I've also only seen an oxytocin challenge (stress) test once. We should do them more often as we do induce with prostin gel quite a bit and that's similarly hard to remove from the vagina if baby's not tolerating!I usually see a contraction stress test before a cytotec induction. You cannot just stop an induction with cytotec the way you can with Pitocin or cervidil.
- Jan 20 by Sezza83Same in Australia.... Induction with cytotec is a big no no. We only use it with terminations/d&cs. That's probably why I have never seen one.