Band 6 interview presentationRegister Today!
- by Cassadelsol Jan 17, '11Hi guys,
I've applied for a band 6 post in a surgical and trauma HDU. I have to give a ten minute presentation entitled "How can you ensure patient safety is maintained and the highest quality of care delivered?" I have absolutely no idea where to start or what they expect of me. Can I concentrate on infection control or are they after something more general? I'm assuming that bouncy floors and more nursing staff aren't suggestions that will go down too well. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance Cass
- Jan 22, '11 by XB9SHi Cass, sorry I've been a while in responding I've had quite a busy time in work.
OK your presentation:
"How can you ensure patient safety is maintained and the highest quality of care delivered?"
Basic clinical governance is what I would be looking for really, so think about identifying clinical risks, looking at incident reporting and identifying trends. Medication errors is a good one with that. Ensuring evidence based practice, safe staffing levels and well educated motivate staff, all comes down to clear and present clinical leadership which is firmly in the remit of a band 6 nurse. Responding to patient complaints and concerns and presenting action plans for improvement where needed.
Take a look at the Stafford enquiry and other documents around that, it'll give you clues as to the failings there, and think about nurses, doctors and managers working collaboratively to make sure we are providing a safe, effective and efficient service.
High quality care, there are performance indicators that will help with that, things like infection rates (C-Diff and MRSA obviously key here) pressure ulcer prevalence, hand hygiene and taking nursing back to basic care all important things to mention.
Have a look at what's going on in your area with the safer patient initiative and mention that, and try to find out what your heads of nursing sees as the priorities in your area.
Let us know how you get on
- Mar 26 by jacjacHi Guide, I am also going for a band 6 with a 10 minute presentation. I had a topic in mind but was totally stumped when they had already picked a topic, "demonstrate how you would support the Senior Charge Nurse as guardian of clinical standards and quality care".
I have went blank to a point that panic has set in. I would be grateful for your help.
- Mar 27 by XB9SHi there, some of the points I mentioned above will be relevant. As a band 6 you'll be a clinical leader, role model and senior member of staff. As such you will need to set and maintain standards and support your senior to ensure standards are met even when they are not there.
- Jun 13 by sezfHi there, i have an interview for a band 6 role coming up, and i have to do a presentation " what do you think the AAU's (acute admission unit)priority focus should be over the next few months and what do you consider your role to be" Any help on this would be great