A Nursing Student Needs Your Help! - Page 2Register Today!
- Thanks for your comment! I too agree that the 12 hour shifts are better for patient continuity; however, I am questioning it now after working 4 twelve hour shifts (I talked my instructor into letting me do so....wrong move). I am not questioning my patients care or safety for me....I am questioning if it is too much for the nurse in a stressful environment (been working in CPU - cardio pulmonary unit) so I have taken care of seriously ill patients (5-6) each day. I am personally exhausted and fatigued. However, I know that my patients loved it and received great care!
- I appreciate the comments Dawn! These past few days I worked with a patient who would not receive blood; it is their religion, their choice, and their outcome. I cannot judge nor would I try to influence them otherwise. The doctor tried...to no avail. Me, I am just the nurse and patient advocate! :-)
- By the way, I appreciate y'all's comments. It inspires and motivates me to continue doing what I believe is right in my own nursing practice. Again, thanks!
- Feb 28, '12 by GrnTeaas adults it behooves us to have a good handle on our own beliefs and values, yes. but to be a nurse is to leave your values behind, in my opinion, if they prevent you from acting in a way that they are in any conflict with the patient/family's beliefs. sure, if you are a devout (insert your favorite religion here) who believes that (insert medication/action here) is an offense to (insert deity here) and you will not participate in its use because it (offends deity/puts your soul in danger/is a mortal sin), then you can (ask someone else to do it for you, take a job somewhere else where it won't come up, or other). what you cannot do is impose your beliefs on the patient.
in turn, this means we are obligated to be mindful about discovering the patient/family beliefs when appropriate, so we aren't thoughtlessly doing what we think is right only to discover later, to our sorrow, that we were wrong.
- Mar 12, '12 by Tuesday17So, I added a poll....please vote!