I am a first year nursing student, i am in my clinical practices in a long term care facility. I am having a hard time asking my resident the questions due to him having slight dementia, and the resident's family never visits when i am on my shift.
How can i queue and answer these questions for my assignment?
1. What is the (family/resident) dealing with?
2. What does the (family/resident) want or what is the (family/resident) working towards?
3. How are they going about it?
4. What is their potential to develop and find healthier ways of living?
5. What resources/positive forces are they making use of and what other forces could they mobilize?
Some info about my resident is he has been admitted to the facility in OCT2012, he takes antidepressant, he talks about how he wants to go home, he's usually really sweet and talks about other things. Today was his birthday , and he was talking about how i might not see him next week cause he might be dead. (which was a big shock, and i didn't know what to say)
I just don't know how i am going to answer these questions. I just feel like the questions wasn't aim towards long term care clients. It would be a big help to me if you guys give me a baseline answer to those question. ( so i can follow them)