- 0Apr 27, '99 by Joe,RNOkay nurses! We have a good thing going here. If you have not written to your legislators you need to do so! If you need help in doing this , I will help you! So will Barton! Also as Barton has said under her topic; We have a most excellent forum for you to use to tell your story. This is an actual column in a publication. I will help you with this too!
Please, let's keep this effort alive! Do your part to make a difference and you will ultimately reap the rewards!
- 0Apr 28, '99 by bartonPLEASE- PLEASE- PLEASE!
LISTEN TO JOE!
Look at all the good work we've all done here---- and in such a SHORT time!
As I see it, we went from complaints/reports to each other, to sending questions/reports to legislators, 20/20, ANA and so on.
NOW we have the opportunity to take our collective efforts one GIANT LEAP forward in the NEW COLUMN!
When was the last time any of us saw nurses FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY rally together for ANYTHING? Yet here we are having professional and productive communications about the most important part of nursing: PATIENTS! AND---people at BOTH wwnurse AND hospitalhub have noticed, commented positively, and encouraged us! WHY ON EARTH WOULD WE STOP NOW??
If some of you are nervous, let me say that sometimes I am too---but if all we print is the truth, and if all concerned remain anonymous, then in my opinion, we are doing the right thing-- we are not breaking confidentiality, and we are acting in our role as patient advocates. If we DON'T report unsafe conditions, then I believe we are FAILING in that role.
We must let the nation know what perils we are facing!
We must work toward enpowering nurses by gaining the autonomy we need to DECIDE FOR OURSELVES how to protect our patients and ourselves.
Let's TAKE nursing BACK from business!!
- 0May 1, '99 by SophieHello! Barton, Bethany, and others. Although it's been a while since I have posted, I have been busy with letters to my state assembly and senate reps, re: current legislation relative to nursing issues. As I have mentioned before, there is a Calif. State Assembly bill - AB 394- that is specically written to make firm LAWS about safe staffing ratios. Much like the ones that already exist (in Calif,) for ratios in critical care, this law would be for the regular floors where we know the staffing is dangerous and work can be miserable. Please support this by writing to the bill author-
Sheila Kuehl, State Capitol, PO Box 942849, Room 3013, Sacramento, Cal. 94249-0001, or call at 916-310-2041. Suggest this legislation to you own state reps if you are outside Cal., it could be used as a guideline. This is a positive and constructive means to get something done about the dangerous staffing issue. If each one of you asked one person to write and support this bill, and those people asked even one other person, the support would be tremendous. We need to realize that nurses are 'do-ers' and although letter writing may seem a passive thing, it is a very action involved step. Remember that when something is written it carries a lot more weight than just a phone call or a comment. A letter is tangible and can be counted. As for our other endeavors, how's the 20/20 situation coming?? Keep sending Sylvia Johnson your examples of mistakes, violations etc. that are occuring due to the nursing shortage and dangerous staffing. Sophie (sorry this was so long-winded)
[This message has been edited by Sophie (edited May 01, 1999).]
- 0May 3, '99 by Joe,RNYes thanks for the posts, everyone! Has anybody else sent an article to email@example.com? I do not work in a hospital any more so I do not have any recent stories to relate. Please send some info this way. I will help you compose an article, if you feel you need the help. And Hey! That's a great idea regarding, the Calif. state bill on staffing ratios. Can we get a copy of that bill somehow? Also there are some nurses in Maryland meeting on 6/16/99 to discuss their concerns and talk aboutthe forming of a union. I don't know any more about this, as I am in Georgia. You can visit the web site at nsweb.nursingspectrum.com/NurseToNurse/ and view the message boards!
- 0May 4, '99 by bartonOoooooh Sophie!!
I think that God wrote this bill in answer to our prayers! Thanks for giving us the info, and I'm going to write my rep and ask him to read this and to SERIOUSLY AND IMMEDIATELY CONSIDER IT FOR FLORIDA!
EVERYONE------PLEASE------Read this bill, write to the appropriate people in your state, and ask them to read and consider it!
SOPHIE--by the way, I have asked that the "director" for our column be someone at that site, and that the rest of us submit---just wrote today and will let all know response!
[This message has been edited by barton (edited May 04, 1999).]