Well, I heard that some review centers offer discounts if you belong to the top of your batch in school or a very high ranking in your school. Usually if you're magna cum laude or you belong to the top 10th percentile in your school. They want to get smart reviewees to further increase the passing rate of the review center in the board exam and as well as to boast their review center if the smart reviewees top the boards. This is probably the main reason why some review centers will offer discounts to high achieving students. Probably just discounts. I doubt they will offer review for free since review centers nowadays especially in manila are charging soooo much money.
Just to share to you. I am also having problems with finance/money. And when I learned review centers cost soooo much, I decided not to have one anymore. I just reviewed by myself at home (self-review).
And after all the hardwork, I was able to pass the board exam as a topnotcher without needing to spend any money at all.
It's actually up to you if you want to self-review or pay the review center to review you. If you feel like you already learned many things in college and would want to review and just polish these knowledge in your head, then a self-review would be sufficient, provided of course there is discipline on your part. If you feel like you learned almost nothing at college or just forgot everything, then a review center may be helpful to cram the concepts in a short time. It's actually up to you, whichever you think is right for you.
But the bottomline is it depends on you whether you will pass, not the review center. My opinion is that, the review center will really boost your confidence, but in terms of knowledge, I think it would be the same with self-review since the review center will just teach you things that are already found in books.
If you're worried about books, don't worry about it much, you don't need many books. All I had were my class notes, Saunders Review Book, and the PHN Book. I only had my notes and 2 books. That's it.
Based on the exam that I took in the year 2010. Not all the answers are directly found in the books. Probably only 25% of the questions were knowledge-based or simple recall. The other 75% are application questions or practical questions in a form of an actual situation or a hypothetical scenario, which will greatly put to the test how you think and how you respond.