2 interviews, 1 job offer... How long can I "wait and see" for? 2 interviews, 1 job offer... How long can I "wait and see" for? | allnurses

LEGAL NOTICE TO THE FOLLOWING ALLNURSES SUBSCRIBERS: Pixie.RN, JustBeachyNurse, monkeyhq, duskyjewel, and LadyFree28. An Order has been issued by the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota that affects you in the case EAST COAST TEST PREP LLC v. ALLNURSES.COM, INC. Click here for more information

2 interviews, 1 job offer... How long can I "wait and see" for?

  1. 0 After almost 8 months since graduation, my job hunt has gone from 0 to 60 in just about two weeks! Last week I interviewed for two positions-- one, a new grad internship in the NICU and the other, a per diem position on a med/surg/pedi/oncology (& the kitchen sink?) floor. Aside from all the travel to make to the interviews (FL & NH!), I'm worn out by the anxiety waiting to hear back from either place...

    The NICU internship is definitely my preferred choice. It's a beautiful unit, the program sounds ideal, and ending up in the NICU is my longterm goal. I'd have to move across the country if I got this position, and I'm ready to do it in a heartbeat (literally. I've got it worked out.). I'm supposed to hear back by the end of this week.

    Meanwhile, I interviewed for the per diem position on Thursday, and today I got a call from HR that the nurse manager wants to go forward! She is checking my references but says I can count on a formal job offer very soon, and that I should get started right away on the licensure process (I'm licensed in 2 other states already, but not this one!). I'm surprised they offered a new grad a per diem spot, but I would train full time first. The unit would offer a lot of experience with a little bit of everything.

    Now..... I really would like to find out whether I've made it for the NICU internship before I commit myself to the per diem. I'd have to pay ~$300 for yet another state RN license, which I don't really want to do for nothing... But I also don't want to prolong the process so long that I cause any problems for the job offer I'm already sure of. As it is the HR woman I spoke with doesn't think I'd have a state license in time for their February orientation session, so I would probably not start until March...

    So, questions:
    - Is per diem a good idea for new grads? I would be on 32hr/wk for orientation.
    - Should I suck it up and start the licensure process before hearing from the NICU? After 8 months of virtual unemployment, my bank account is crying...
    - Is there any way to gracefully prod an answer from the NICU hospital, without offending or annoying anyone?
    - What's the best way to gracefully decline the per diem offer if the NICU one does come through?
  2. 1 Comments

  3. Visit  ilovensg profile page
    #1 0
    I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice because I'm in a similar situation. I am also a new grad and was verbally offered a per diem job which will start in about three weeks. HOWEVER, the week before I start, I will hear back whether I'm offered a position at my dream job!! My dream job also is full time with benefits. So to add to the list of unanswered questions here, do I notify my dream job employer I have an offer? I believe she has to interview X amount of candidates before she can even put out an offer. I don't want to do anything to make me ineligible for my dream job...

    Also, I am anticipating my per diem job will give me the formal offer in writing this upcoming week. What should I do? I'm happy I am in this situation, but don't want to ruin a potential wonderful opportunity. ANY ADVICE is welcomed!!!